looking for advice on home studio monitors.

Started by Oldrottenhead, March 20, 2016, 01:34:49 PM

Farrell Jackson

Pretty in Pink! I would wager to say the empty brewsky bottles will add a bit of color to the mix as well  ;)

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Flash Harry

Isn't the point of monitors that you can ditch the cans? Am I missing something?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

Quote from: Flash Harry on May 04, 2016, 08:58:14 AMIsn't the point of monitors that you can ditch the cans? Am I missing something?

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

That pic was pretty much me with my first stereo record player. Lol. Head wedged between two speakers on my pillow on a single bed. One speaker against the wall the other against a bed side cabinet. Just enough room for my head to fit. Listening to prog rock and German electronic krautrock bands. Lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Yep, I remember that feeling!! I'd forgotten all about it... It was that moment when you discovered that if you put your head BETWEEN the speakers it sounded AMAZING. In my case, had to wait until the parents weren't paying attention before moving the hifi speakers.... I lay on the living room floor with a speaker either side of me head!

I was listening to much the same sort of thing as you (prog and krautrock) - Mozart and Bach! lol
Bach's Toccata & Fugue in E minor was stunning like that.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

I was an avid Tchaikovsky listener - Between the speakers, Berlin Phil on LOUD!!!

Dad bought me some headphones with a curly lead so he didn't have to listen to it. They had individual volume controls on the cans. I had them smoking regularly.... 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

i always remember a snippet on a yes album (fragile i think) and it was the sound of someone walking from one room to another maybe using stairs but the footstep went gradually from one room to another. pretty simple you might think but in 1973 that was mindblowing lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

leighelse

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on May 05, 2016, 07:08:21 AMi always remember a snippet on a yes album (fragile i think) and it was the sound of someone walking from one room to another maybe using stairs but the footstep went gradually from one room to another. pretty simple you might think but in 1973 that was mindblowing lol.

I remember that well. That entire album is still amazing: Heart of the Sunrise is a perennial favourite.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.