COSM com[pressor on micro BR-80...

Started by Daniel Storey, December 12, 2012, 08:28:29 AM

Daniel Storey

Please can someone explain what the diff things do, i am trying to live rec, vox and aco in the MTT mode...

There is no ratio, or threshold? and what exactly does the comp. level do? is it a mix of wet/dry?

So far its been random luck if it's sounded good.

Trouble i'm having, when i attack the guitar i can hear the whole volume drop instantly afterwards... the quiet bits sound brill, the loud bits have no 'umph' at all...
recorder
Boss BR-80

You can find me on facebook if you like my sounds = Danielstoreymusic

"There is a tale to be told about the outside world."

64Guitars

The details are on page 4 of this document:

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/62121934/BR-80_DataList_e03.pdf

A Threshold setting is available only when the Type is set to Limiter.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

After spending countless hours on this same problem,and still not happy, i think there is no solution to your answer. Just as you said, you gotta be lucky. ive set sustain, attack level. tone and and level every which way. I`m really thinking the dual mics are the problem. When i have to watch my setting while i play and sing it`s a problem to my performance and drives me insane. These mics are not a problem for soft singing but you can`t sing loud and soft without a bit of clipping or either hearing the softer vocals enough. The limiter is so damn noisy and sounds like you`re skydiving while your recording although i havent really played around with it too much.

I think what has helped me in the compression area is dropping the overall compression level down to 50. Also remember your input sensitivity in the menu.i forgot that on a couple songs and why my recordings ended up with the music too in the forefront and vocals  far away. It`s a drawback of the br 80 in my opinion but what can you do.Unless someone else can tell me a solution. If there is, it`s probably something easy to do but i don`t know. I`m going to be buying a mic soon and hopefully it`ll be better.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hilary

I have real trouble recording because I have such a strong voice - you get a mic Eric and it's a whole new set of problems - I'm just getting I sound I'm happy with, with the internal mics but nowhere near getting a sound I'm happy with, with the Rode - it's hyper-sensitive and needs compression to get anywhere near recording anything without peaking. I really think it's just trial and error - write down your settings for each song Daniel and hopefully when you get a sound you like, you'll know what it was you did to get it  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

The COSM compressor/limiter in the BR-80 is more of a guitar effect like their CS-3 pedal. It's good for getting long sustain on lead guitar solos. It's not a good compressor for vocals because the ratio is too high and can't be adjusted. A high ratio is great for getting those Santana-like lead guitar sounds but it's not good for vocals because you can hear it working (volume swells and dips).

For vocals, the BR-80 has the Dynamics effect instead. If you look at the effect algorithms, you'll notice that the E.GUITAR MULTI algorithm offers the Compressor/Limiter effect, while the VOCAL MULTI algorithm offers the Dynamics effect instead. So, for recording vocals on the BR-80, I would recommend using a patch with the VOCAL MULTI algorithm and adjusting the Depth and Enhance parameters of the Dynamics effect as desired to limit the dynamic range.

As for recording vocals and guitar at the same time, the BR-80 doesn't have an effects algorithm for that. So you have to choose either a guitar effect or a vocal effect. You can't have both at the same time. If you want both, I would suggest recording guitar and vocals separately. If you don't want to record separately, then I would recommend a vocal patch rather than a guitar patch.

Preset patches 141 through 155 are for vocals and use the VOCAL MULTI algorithm (and the Dynamics effect).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

I use a tight eq setting for recording both simultaneously and let nature do the rest - I don't like the vocal preset patches 141-155. VOCAL MULTI algorithm (and the Dynamics effect) - I've no idea what that is  :o
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Gnasty

My advice was about a guitar and vocal together sorry. But when i record a vocal i do the same really when i use the built in mics. It`s much clearer with just EQ but i need the compression for those out of the blue hard and more dominant vocals.

I`ve tampered with those Dynamic Vocal presets 64 ,and i have to tell you they really blow bad. Even with the input sensitivity -24 and recording input down to 25 it still clips and it sounds terrible in adjusting every way. I really don`t know who came up with those. They are meant to plug in a dynamic mic. Not for the built in mics. But they don`t say that anywhere.

I`m headed to a Roland sale this weekend where there are Roland reps supposed to be there so i`m gonna ask them questions that will blow their mind about the br-80 and they won`t even know the answer i bet . I hope that will equal free things! Yeah right!!  >:(
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hilary

I've got some questions  ???

Are the only patches applicable for the internal mics 156-160 (P14 of your link)? (lucky really coz I use 158) - if so there's no point using a vocal patch with internal mics.

When using a vocal patch (via an external mic presumably) are the dynamic effects via the patch edit - ie EQ and noise suppressor?

Thanks  ;D

Eric - there's a comp + EQ patch on the sterio options 156, 157, 159 which work with the internal mics (if I've understood correctly) - does affect the sound quality though! - you think this is tough - just wait till you get a condenser mic!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Gnasty

Haylie just remember you can adjust your settings and save them to user patch. Try this setting using your rhode mic.and tell me your outcome. And if no good then adjust it your ears.

Just use compression at first and turn all others effects off. Use noise suppresor if you have to. Adjust recording input to 90 - 95. Adjust input sensitivity to closest without clipping. I try to go as high as possible starting at
- 5db.

Press edit patch. Compressor

Sustain: 15
Attack: 90
Tone:5
Level:50

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hilary

Unfortunately I've broken my preamp (which is probably for the best as I never really got to grips with the sound) and have ordered a phantom power unit instead (less for me to cock-up) which hasn't arrived yet - boo!

Bless you though for trying to help, I'll save the settings and let you know what it's like when I'm back in action - xxx

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça