Advise Please-live recording.

Started by holdempok, November 14, 2008, 08:32:25 AM

holdempok

I am going to be recording a live jam session this Saturday. Full drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals, etc. I want to use the BR for this but I need some advise of how to set the input levels only using the built in mic.

We will be playing through a Peavy PA system.

Should I have any Instruments into the BR?

Where should the BR be Placed in the room for optimal recording? mid -air, near speakers (how close) on the floor? etc..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Why don't we do it on the road?

Flash Harry

Are the drums and amps mic'd? Are you playing the lot through the PA?
If you are I'd be tempted to use one of the aux channels on the mixer (if you have them) into the MBR.

If not you will need to discover the best place for the MBR. Each room is different. You don't want to saturate (overload acoustically) the MBR mic so it doesn't want to be right in front of the PA. 

You could use an external mic such as the little Sony electret.

there's some discussion of this topic here > http://microrecorders.org/community/getting-started/the-secret-to-recording-a-very-loud-band-rehearsal/msg5432/#msg5432
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

holdempok

thanks I was searching for that discussion. All I really want to do is place the BR somewhere in the room and record. I'll let you all know how it goes.

What were your results?  I'm going to do the same thing.
Rooney

hewhoiscalledj

when using the built in mic, it takes much experimentation to find the right spot. start in the center of the room and go from there.

assuming the band is very loud, you'll end up setting the INPUT Sensitivity about as low as it will go (-12dB or so) and the INPUT level hopefully around 85. just depends on how loud things get but you'll want both settings as high as possible without clipping. the problem here is that you are likely to get distortion from the mic not being able to handle the noise.

if everyone is mic'd into the PA, i'd suggest connecting the stereo out or aux out from the PA to the MicroBR thru the LINE input. as long as nobody is clipping thru the PA, you'll get a distortion free recording on the MBR. the trick here becomes getting a good mix with the PA. you can always add a room mic to pick up anyone that isnt mic'd but I honestly beleive you will get better results routing a signal from the PA.

good luck!

holdempok

I will be recording live again this Saturday. I hope to have some better material to share. Wish me luck.