'The Rhythm of Life' - by Sir George Martin

Started by hooper, November 11, 2010, 10:19:15 AM

hooper

I know this series has been mentioned before but I don't know if it has been re-mentioned since the whole series became available on Youtube.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8C5V0YEGA&feature=related
If, so please excuse the repeat.

Otherwise- This is a real treat! Music lessons from George Martin... his thoughts on the basic elements: Rhythm, Melody and Harmony.  I highly recommend anyone who has not watched this series to put it on your 'must do' list. It may change your musical experience forever.

Edit: The whole series is nearly a couple of hours long but the Youtube segments are broken down to 15-20 minutes each.

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Kenneth

Awesome awesome awesome. I'm going to watch it now. I'm a George fan, without him, the Beatles would not have been the same.
Thanks for posting.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Tony W

I watched as much as I could. I didn't realize the length when I started, or I'd have picked a better time. This is a really good piece, and I can't wait to enjoy the full deal.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

not seen this one, but cant wait to set aside time to watch it, im 2 mnutes in and hooked already
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenneth

It was really good.

Many guest appearances from big name musicians, and interesting discussions.
Thanks for posting this Hooper.

danieldesete

addicted after a few seconds. (But what is Celine dion doing in there ?)
hou hou ha ha

hooper

Anybody who's been watching the series might also enjoy this... and it only takes about 5 minutes  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSbTmdrFDzo&feature=related

It blows my mind to realize that George Martin is of my fathers generation... and then to consider the impact that he had the on music of my generation and the impact that music has had on society and the world.  Don't know what it would be, but the world would be different if there had never been a George Martin.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Geir

Thank you Hooper for bringing this to our attention. I've watched it all now and it was time well spent !!!

That last link was quite marvellous too, almost as good as my favourite version of this song (well MAYBE second favourite):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MoWQSe3txY
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

fascinating programme especially liked the segments with brian wilson.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenneth