bounce quality probs

Started by debassman, January 16, 2008, 03:27:21 AM

hi all
i'm loving the micro br - and have created a killer track but one problem we seem to be running into is loss of quality following a bounce.

i.e after having recorded on T1v1, T2v1, T3v1, T4v1 we bounce down to T3v2 & T4v2 to enable two more tracks to be recorded.

But at this point whilst recording and listening to T3v2 and T4v2 the sound is muffled and distorted - not great.

anyone got any tips?

thanks
deBassMan

Pedro

Hello there and welcome to the forum deBassMan.  8)

Basically what is happening is that your bounced tracks are playing with the parameters of your original Track3 and Track4, like 76 volume, 60 reverb or something like that.

They have to be played clean so you have to make sure that Track3V2 as L50 on panning, 100 volume and 0 reverb. Track4V2 must be R50 on panning, 100 volume and 0 reverb.

Also be sure that there are no realtime effects applied on Tracks 3 and Tracks 4.

Hope it helps.

hi and thanks for your response & welcome

1. So you do not experience any hit on quality on bounced tracks?

2. Should rhythm track be recorded at bounce or later?

3. Does a new bounced track overwrite previous contents of destination v-track? 

4. Is an electret mike worthwhile?

phew - thanks

Pedro

Quote from: debassman on January 16, 2008, 09:47:37 AMhi and thanks for your response & welcome

1. So you do not experience any hit on quality on bounced tracks?

None, that was a problem of the analog days.

Quote2. Should rhythm track be recorded at bounce or later?

I usually put the built-in drums after everything, after the last bounce. This way I control their sound better.
Quote3. Does a new bounced track overwrite previous contents of destination v-track? 

Yes. But there are 8 virtual tracks pairs so if you don't want it to overwrite you can always choose another pair.

Quote4. Is an electret mike worthwhile?

I like them very much, they are small, not very expensive and sound great on acoustic instruments and vocals. On the other side, they are not the best thing when recording more powerful sound sources like amps, drums, things like that. They are a tipycal condenser microphone but much smaller. You decide if they are worthwhile.

Quotephew - thanks

No problem.  :D

FG

Hi guys,
this is my first post... happy to be owner of a Micro BR  :)

I was trying to find infos about "bounce" and I got this old thread:

Quote from: admin on January 16, 2008, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: debassman on January 16, 2008, 09:47:37 AM1. So you do not experience any hit on quality on bounced tracks?

None, that was a problem of the analog days.

My curiosity is then,
- when you bounce tracks, (I presume so) is this a complete digital mix&copy process?
- I mean, is it really a digital lossless process? Bouncing 100 times doesn't impact on the final sound?

Thanks

FG

64Guitars

Quote from: FG on December 03, 2008, 11:03:30 AMI was trying to find infos about "bounce"

http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/Tutorials/V-Tracks_and_Bouncing.html

QuoteMy curiosity is then,
- when you bounce tracks, (I presume so) is this a complete digital mix&copy process?
- I mean, is it really a digital lossless process? Bouncing 100 times doesn't impact on the final sound?

Bouncing records the output of the built-in 4-channel mixer. So bouncing a single track, for example, is not the same thing as copying that track. The copied track would be bit-by-bit identical to the original track. But the bounced track would be a new recording which would sound the same but would contain very different data. No form of recording, analog or digital, is perfect. So, in theory, this re-recording of the tracks will introduce slight changes to the signals from the tracks. However, in practice, the quality of most digital recorders (including the Micro BR) is so good that you can bounce many times without introducing any perceptible difference in signal quality. That's assuming, of course, that you set your recording levels optimally on each bounce. If you set the level too high, you'll introduce distortion. If you set it too low, you could introduce a very small amount of noise which can compound on each bounce until it becomes noticeable. In bounce mode, you use the Master Level parameter found in the UTILITY menu to adjust the recording level (as far as I can tell, the Micro BR Owner's Manual fails to mention this very important fact).

To get a better idea of signal quality after multiple bounces, why not do a little experiment? Record a single track, then bounce it many times. Make sure to set the Master Level correctly on each bounce and see how many bounces you can do before you notice any change in sound quality. Then repeat the experiment but this time set the Master Level much lower than usual on each bounce to see how many bounces you can do before the noise compounds to a perceptible level.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FG