The Lovers (Picasso Songbook) - w:Fuzzface m:Geir

Started by Geir, October 09, 2010, 08:43:10 AM

Geir

Geir - The Lovers v3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I made the music to FF's beautiful lyrics over a week ago, but haven't had much time for recording lately. Yesterday I started rerecording it on my BR800, lying down two acoustic guitars and making a simple drumarrangement. Added the electric guitars and fake bass today + the vocals. My voice is struggling these days since I haven't sung much since I lost it a couple of weeks ago so it's a bit rough.

Time permitting I will redo parts of this later, but wanted to post it now to get som input on what I should improve.

The Lovers
Words:Fuzzface
Music: Geir
Performed and recorded on BR800 by Geir
instruments used:
Eko 12-string acoustic
Ibanez ST300 electric
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

FuzzFace

I can't resist comparing this album to Pink Floyd The Wall, and this song in parts sonically does for the album what "Mother" does for The Wall... although this is much better!

Very strong performance.  I love the arrangement.  You took these words and make something beautiful with them.

I love the 12-string.

What is "fake bass"?

cuthbert

Wow, Geir!  Not sure I could make any recommendations on what to improve - this sounds great to me! Your voice sounds a bit raw, but I think that really adds to the feel of the song - gives it some emotional heft. And I love that Spanish-sounding instrumental break in the middle.

I'd seriously consider not changing a thing.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

fake bass: I used my Ibanez ST300 electric through a "guitar to bass" effect on the BR800.

Glad you liked it FF. And thanks for the kind comparison with The Wall !! Maybe I've subconsciously have been affected by my visit to Berlin last weekend :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Kenneth

Geir, that's beautiful.

Epic song, will be one to be remembered, as your music always is.

Your voice adds to the atmosphere of the song, so maybe there is a silver lining to the troubles you went through with it?

Enjoyed it very much.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

FuzzFace

Quote from: Geir on October 09, 2010, 09:07:44 AMAnd thanks for the kind comparison with The Wall !! Maybe I've subconsciously have been affected by my visit to Berlin last weekend :D

Lyrically, this album is the FuzzFace version of The Wall.  Old Rotten Head thinks that is shooting too low... and with the music everyone is producing... he may be right!

I think you should post the version you sent me and let people hear that, too.  It's different but also good.  (The vocals were less raw... and I can't decide which I prefer).

Nelson

Cool vocals.
I just love the sound of the acoustic guitar.
The over all musical arrangement is superb.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

stoman

Geir, you are a very talented songwriter. This song is very nice, and your voice suits it perfectly. Reminds me of the Pogues.

On my PC speakers it sounds good. The vocals may be a tad too loud, but I'll have to listen with head phones and in my car to be sure. The PC speakers are cheap and cannot be trusted.

You may want to elaborate the ending some more. Other than that I'd call it a wrap.

Regards,
  Steffen

Oldrottenhead

geir geir geir you raise the bar again, love the rough edge to your voice gives the song so much power like you have been channelling serge gainsbourg.

bloody marvelous
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann