suggestions for other items to create a mini recording studio

Started by smucarolina, August 13, 2008, 08:32:09 AM

Greeny

Full Set Up: two electric guitars, one electro-acoustic guitar, one bass guitar, headphones, a capo, bottle-neck slide, a wah pedal,  and some musical and lyrical ideas.

But I'm equally happy with just one guitar and some song ideas  :)

Oh... and TIME. Everything above is relatively easy to come by, but time is oh so precious and rare.

guitarron

Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on August 19, 2008, 10:14:59 AMOh... and TIME. Everything above is relatively easy to come by, but time is oh so precious and rare.
Aint that the truth

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Quote from: guitarron on August 19, 2008, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on August 19, 2008, 10:14:59 AMOh... and TIME. Everything above is relatively easy to come by, but time is oh so precious and rare.
Aint that the truth

Oh yeah, tell me about it!

Prive

Hi! this is my first post here.
I have a little toy to recomend, thinking in a pocket studio, i use a Palm T3 loaded with Bhajis loops, check it at www.chocopoolp.com, most for drum/bass programming, sometimes loops or synths.
Ah of course you'll need a miniplug to miniplug wire.
I agree with the beer!!!

Saludos, Marcelo.
Music, music and three times music!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

AlchemyMN

See my list here:
http://microrecorders.org/community/getting-started/handy-supply-list-all-the-liitle-things-to-go-along-with-your-br/0/

If you have an instrument cable, a mini-to-mini (for bringing in sound from an iPod), headphones, and the USB cable you fit fit the entire setup in a fanny pack and yo have everything you need.

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 13, 2008, 09:27:01 AMmy set up is ibud earphones a 6 pack of beers and some coke and brandy and the house to myself.

Lol! How true is this? I get the conservatory to myself but if it's raining it sounds like someone's frying chips!

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

hewhoiscalledj

Heres a general list of things that are handy in the "MicroBr" based mini-studio:

1. Monitor speakers and/or VERY good headphones.
2. All sorts of condenser and dynamic mics
3. A decent preamp for those mics (a pa with aux/rec outs will do)
4. A computer to store all your files and burn cds with.
5. Cables, 1/4" - 1/8" adapters, mic stands
6. Recording/Editing software for more tweaking/mixing/mastering
7. A steady supply of patience and determination
8. And/or lots of beer.
9. You can skip all the rack gear at first, but eventually, you'll want better pre-amps, compressor, limiter, noise-gates, EQ, aural exciters (love that term) and effects processors for reverb, chorus, etc... All that is built into the MicroBR but the real deal with provide WAY better results but certainly at a price ($$$) Not to mention better Mics (Neuman, Rode, etc...)
10. And a place to keep all this junk that has a workable space for recording vocals/drums/guitars/etc...

AlchemyMN

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on October 09, 2008, 01:42:10 PMHeres a general list of things that are handy in the "MicroBr" based mini-studio:

1. Monitor speakers and/or VERY good headphones.
2. All sorts of condenser and dynamic mics
3. A decent preamp for those mics (a pa with aux/rec outs will do)
4. A computer to store all your files and burn cds with.
5. Cables, 1/4" - 1/8" adapters, mic stands
6. Recording/Editing software for more tweaking/mixing/mastering
7. A steady supply of patience and determination
8. And/or lots of beer.
9. You can skip all the rack gear at first, but eventually, you'll want better pre-amps, compressor, limiter, noise-gates, EQ, aural exciters (love that term) and effects processors for reverb, chorus, etc... All that is built into the MicroBR but the real deal with provide WAY better results but certainly at a price ($$$) Not to mention better Mics (Neuman, Rode, etc...)
10. And a place to keep all this junk that has a workable space for recording vocals/drums/guitars/etc...

Add a Hard Drive (V-studio) rig or software (protools) rig and you have a full-blown studio...  ;)

hewhoiscalledj

Hah! Kinda got carried away didnt I? I carry that wish list around in my head.

thats the problem with studio/musical equipment... it never ends man.

AlchemyMN

Ha ha, me too.

Some advice i got long ago from a pro audio guy (salesman) - "prioritize, don't chase trends, focus on building blocks that don't go out of fashion..."

I bought some cool mics and preamps to feed my original Tascam Porta4 tape system and I still use them today.  I also gradually invested in better cables and a patch bay...

Then I got advice from a Roland electronics rep, "invest in things that make you more creative."  In other words, supplies, cables, mics, studio amps - not so much.  Guitars, drums (programmable), effects, recording device - Yes!

So, I got into some sequencing software, more guitar effects, and of course more guitars...

These two ideas conflict a bit, but I have had success building a studio that does focus on the creative elements, while gradually accumulating the building block that work with any recording system.

Still the most important things are "creativity, skill, instruments, recording media."