Micro BR Bass

Started by ayan0815, January 22, 2010, 11:48:55 PM

ayan0815

Can you make your electric guitar sound like a bass guitar using Boss Micro BR built in effects/patches?

Halem

I used three last effects(clean bass, solo bass etc) to record a bass with a guitar. Those just twist equalizer boosting bass, no magic there, as far as i know. May be there are other ways.

You can make it sound close, but there's no way to drop the pitch. All Roland recorders in BR family except Micro BR have pitch shifter effect. The best option would be to borrow bass guitar from a friend, or perhaps play bass line on a keyboard (if you have one handy).

EDIT: Also try lowering TONE knob on your guitar and play with fingers to take away the high harmonics specific to guitar sound.

Red62

Yeah.. there isn't really a way with the MBR... a slight disappointment for me with the MBR compared to my BR-600.

64Guitars

The Micro BR doesn't have any way to change the pitch of your guitar. But you can do that in Audacity.

For example, here's a short bass line I recorded on my BR-864 using an ordinary electric guitar with the BR's insert effects turned off:

Time:
0:00
Volume:

I exported that track to a WAV file using the BR Wave Converter program. Then I imported the WAV file into Audacity and used its Change Pitch effect to drop the pitch one octave. Here is the result:

Time:
0:00
Volume:

This could be a useful technique for the Songcrafters.org "Unplugged" festival. You should be able to create a decent simulation of an acoustic upright bass by recording a bass line on an acoustic guitar, then dropping it an octave in Audacity. Might be worth a try for anyone who feels they need some bass in their song but they don't want to "cheat" by using an electric bass.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

ayan0815

thanks 64Guitars. i think thats the best solution for me. it doesnt sound bad for doing demo songs. downloaded audacity and applied "change pitch" effect but there were too many settings. care to share yours? thanks again.

64Guitars

The simplest way is to enter -12 for Semitones. All of the other options will automatically update accordingly. An octave is 12 semitones and the minus sign indicates that you want the octave below rather than the one above. So a -12 semitone pitch change means you're lowering the pitch by one octave.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ted

That Audacity trick sounds surprisingly good.  Better than the any of the real-time octave-shift effects I've heard.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Yeah, it works pretty good. I'd like to hear somebody give this technique a try with an acoustic guitar for the unplugged festival. It could be a great way to add bass to an unplugged song without resorting to an electric bass or keyboard. My only acoustic has a broken neck so I can't do it.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Vanncad

QuoteMy only acoustic has a broken neck so I can't do it.

- Does that mean you're gonna have to put "ole Yeller" down?  ;D ;D ;D
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover