This thing runs on batteries!?

Started by Blooby, July 08, 2008, 08:15:10 PM

Blooby

Bear_Creek_128
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Been a strange few days.  I have managed to contract Bell's Palsy, an affliction that leaves exactly one half of your face paralyzed for 2-6 weeks or possibly longer.  I look weirder than before (this speaks volumes), I have to manually close my left eye 3-4 times per minute, I tend to drool when I drink, but most disturbing of all is that I can no longer whistle the theme to Andy Griffith.  I've decided to leave behind my mocking co-workers and go camping, which is my smooth segue into today's track...

The following was a quick improvisation around a campfire (thus, the subject title) at this year's Bear Creek Festival in Live Oak, FL.  I remember I was drinking Guinness to combat the unseasonably cold temperatures (it really was...I swear).  I took a pass with guitar, took another pass, took a third with some Ebow (a fun device), and then programmed the drums.  I've always heard in my head some simple keyboard pads in the background ebbing and flowing, but my keyboard skills make me laugh (only half my face, though).

If anybody wants to take a shot, I think the whole shebang was in D major.

Until I return in a few weeks, I leave you once again for my appreciation and admiration for the folks who contribute to these forum pages. 

Peace.

Blooby 

galestermusic

Oh Blooby brother I feel for you. I had Bell's Palsey in 1993 for 5 months! It was terrible! My daughter is the one that noticed when I was eating fruitloops with her and her brother, she said "daddy why are you spitting out your milk?" LOL I was miserable and when I was getting over it, my face became very painful. I have som permanent nerve damage. A lazy left eye, it is really bad when I'm tired or drunk. I have a twitch in my nose that drives me nuts. LOL I hope you get over it soon!

Great acoustic work! What did you use for drums, I need to figure the drum thing out.

Greg

hooper

Very cool, Blooby. I like it!  :)

Are you saying that you programed the BR on-board drums...?
Or did you fly them in from elsewhere?

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Blooby

I programmed the drums at the festival, so everything was done internally.  Just before posting, I used Audio Cleaning Lab 12 to convert the original wav to mp3.  I shortened it to reduce its size and raised some levels, but that was it.

Nerve damage?  Months?  You're killin' me.  Luckily, I have a permanent sneer now to express my "verklemptness."

Peace.

Blooby

Farmjazz

Blooby -

Seeing a good chiropractor as soon as possible for the Bells Palsy should bring you right out of it. Irritated neck nerves = irritated facial nerves.

Just a suggestion. I've seen it work many times.

Oldrottenhead

WH0W1LL1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
i just cannea leave things well alone............
this is the second go at putting a vocal over other peoples music today.checkout http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/mib-song-andthe-hooper-bounce-technique/msg3465/#msg3465

anyway i went hillclimbing with the wife and kids today and must have cleared the cobwebs,

blooby this tune is superb, something about it reminded me of yes and jon anderson, so i attempted (stress attempted) to do it like him lyrically and vocally. listen too me strain and if you can work out what the hell i'm singing about please tell my shrink. anyway here it is.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveG

Two things spring to mind...

1. Great acoustic work!!!
2. I am sooo glad that I am not ORH's shrink lol!

Blooby

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 09, 2008, 04:11:11 PMi just cannea leave things well alone............
this is the second go at putting a vocal over other peoples music

Thank you for your efforts, and thank you for your kind words.  Superb job with the vocals.  Once again, I wish I could find the guts to sing.  I think you nailed the esoteric Jon Anderson lyric as well. It reminds me of the lyrics in "South Side of the Sky."

As for my time away, my face is still broken, but I did see the Allgood Festival with Gov't Mule, Phil Lesh, Tea Leaf Green, Widespread Panic, Keller Willaims w/Gibb Droll and monster drummer Jeff Sipe, Derek Trucks w/Susan Tedeschi, and I capped off my trip with Rush in Charlotte.

Oddly, I never broke out the BR while traveling, but there was fishing to be had.

Nice to be back.

Blooby  

Oldrottenhead

hi blooby my turn to disappear for a couple of weeks  am off to crete tomorrow for 2 weeks, would you mind if i posted this song here www.soundclick.com/nevermet is site for collaborations from here
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 23, 2008, 07:40:34 AMhi blooby my turn to disappear for a couple of weeks  am off to crete tomorrow for 2 weeks, would you mind if i posted this song here www.soundclick.com/nevermet is site for collaborations from here

By all means, post it.  What a cool site.  Did we go major label while I was away?  Should I grow my hair, get a van, perhaps some spandex?  Oh, never mind.

Enjoy your time in Crete.  I leave you with the thought that after the Charlotte Rush show, I "camped" in an RV in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart.  Hmmm, Crete vs. Wal-Mart.

I knew you'd be jealous.

Blooby