mixers, PA systems, Where to go what to do?

Started by Tony W, November 11, 2009, 11:44:48 AM

Tony W

I have a fairly well documented case of GAS. I started with an acoustic and an MBR to learn to play. That didn't last long. Mike offered lessons, I bought an electric just to take lessons..... it's steamrolled. Here is my list of equipment, and it will be followed by what  I want to do next.

Electrics:
Fender 60's Classic player Strat
Schecter Diamond C1 plus
Ibanez SR300M Bass

Acoustic:
Ibanez EW20ASE-NT

Drums:
Pearl ?? I've got a nice 20" ride zildjan the rest of the cymbals need replaced

Amps:
Kustom HV65 guitar
Peavy MAX 115 Bass

Accessories:
Line 6 POD X3 Live
MBR
Shure SM 57
Shure SM 58

I have a walk out basement that overlooks a creek, then a mile of prairie grass. We also have a cheap pool, and a really nice firepit area that I built over the summer.

I'd love to setup outside for parties in the future. I also would love to setup to do a bit of live recording through a mixer. I'm basically wanting to put together a sound system as inexpensively as possible with adequate wattage. I have no idea where to begin. The more I research the more questions I have.

What do you think?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Migs

Something like this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-XR-8300-PR-15-PA-Package?sku=631376

but I don't know how that kind of thin would go outside.  Music outside is difficult. Apart from outside being a big space, things like wind and wind direction have a huge effect on sound.

The Reverend 48

Tony W

I don't see how we can be each others Roadie????

Migs, Good suggestion, but I'm hoping to go used to cut cost. I really want somebody to tell me that going with an unpowered mixer is right choice too. That way I'm not wasting electric if I just want to record through it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

I don't know the answer to the mixer question ... the powered one in my pub was crap.  Complete waste of money. 

I suggested Peavey precisely because the second hand stuff is usually good.  My peavey amp is bullet proof.  I've had it since maybe 1985 and it is still as good as the day I bought it.  I think the sound quality may have dropped more recently but the old stuff is great.

Flash Harry

Soundcraft mixers - they have the Classic British microphone pre-amps and they sound lovely. I picked mine up for fifty quid off ebay.

For a garden 300 Watts is a good start, for a prairie, I'd say the sky's the limit. A friend of mine has a part share in a 14Kw rig which they use for fields and festivals, so that would probably be enough  for a few friends and drinks.

I've used my 300 watt Peavey in pubs and the like and it's fine for vocals and mic'ing up instruments. It competes favourably with an acoustic drum kit.

Efficient speakers are important. You can dump a huge amount of power into inefficient speakers and get hardly anything out. The piezo horns and single mid/low range drivers with ported enclosures are quite good, and for extra thump a big power amp and subwoofer can make enemies of your neighbours in no time.

I have to agree with Migs, Peavey make great PA amps.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tony W

Excellent info Flash Harry. That makes for quite a bit of research in the right direction. I was wondering about sizing with an acoustic drum set.

I was clueless as to speakers, but this puts me on a solid path.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Tony, here is some Info on PA systems, from Yorkville, Canadian company that makes really good stuff (my studio monitors are Yorkville and they are dynamite).  Some really good info on their website.

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=5&p2=27&p_id=85

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Dave, that link struck gold! I think the Q&A was tailored to a majority of my questions. I'm 3/4 through it and had to come back here to say thanks!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR