hdd read error!!!!! help!!!

Started by blkmonday, October 21, 2009, 04:56:45 PM

blkmonday

today when i turned my machine on im getting a hdd read error! message. i am 80% finished with a 7 song demo of my band...please tell me i have not lost everything. has anyone had this problem before? please help ....i did a data save on cd's a few weeks ago...with basically only the drum tracks on them...i will freak out if i have to re-do everything else...what should i do...besides call customer service..which i will do tomorrow in the morning when they are open  >:(

SteveB

BMY - Does your machine give any more information? Can you still access any of your songs? Have you tried re-booting your machine (after a couple of minutes of Shutdown?). Have you had this message before? Is your machine 2nd-hand?(May give an indication as to why it was sold in the 1st place).

SB
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

blkmonday

the machine wont give any more info...it is 2nd hand. the song list is empty and will play beats when you clear the error message...but it wont access anything. upon more research online...these things have hard drive issues...do not fill your hard drive!
there is a way to replace the hard drive yourself...i found some detailed directions online. im hoping i can save my existing data...otherwise i wouldnt trust this machine to record myself sleep...im alo noticing in the corner it says remaining hours are at 0. there were at least 50 hours left on it the last time i shut it down. it seems to me the hard drive is fried or stuck :'(

SdC

yep time to call in the help of professionals. The data on the disk is probably recoverable. if roland can't/won't do it for you, a computer data recovery firm can, but may cost a bit as they use a new drive as a parts donor to recover yours, in a dust-free "clean room".
I suspect the drive runs very hot in the 1600, that seriously shortens te lifespan.

recorder
Boss BR-600

SteveB

BMY - Well, first of all that obviously sucks, so commiserations. Yep, you've some decisions to make, any of which very probably won't be cheap.  :(

My original BR864 died on me - the LCD refused to shine after a number of weeks, and nothing could be done locally. The machine was replaced, (By Roland via my local shop)and I had no trouble with the replacement. In fact the original was returned to the shop and it was sold a second time. Your problems are somewhat larger.
Although the songs you recorded are obviously precious, could you live without them if you replaced the HD yourself? If the machine is sent away, the cost could well prove to be prohibitive (don't forget labour costs), it may prove to be cheaper to buy a new machine. Good luck with your decision, any further questions or support/advice, just ask.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

chapperz66

Oh no!  I had this problem with the BR1180cd that I used to have.  Eventually there was no option but to get a new hard drive installed.  It was still under guarantee so Roland did it free of charge - but I still lost everything that I hadn't backed up.  Since then I've regularly backed up song data to CD. 

I've not had any problems so far with the BR1600.  Hope you get it sorted, and let us know won't you?

Paul Chapman

Have you tried using the USB function to backup your HD contents?  Perhaps you only have one corrupted project folder....

Gene
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Convert Boss BR-1600/BR-1200 Projects faster with WAV-MAKER-1600!

http://www.topsoundproductions.com/products/wav-maker-1600
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/BR1600/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

blkmonday

well heres my update...i grabbed a new hard drive off ebay for 35 bucks...basically the exact model that came out..popped it in and initialized it according to the boss manual. the unit is fully functional again...a very easy and not too expensive fix. the hard drives are readily available and range in prices...i would only buy a new one..i dont trust used or rebuilt since these hard drives are kind of junk to begin with. mine was new but out of the box..so it was much cheaper than the ones i saw for 125 online.
the old hard drive is at a an I.T. friend of mines waiting to see if he can save the data..have another guy waiting to try if he cant retrieve anything and then boss said they would do it for 80 bucks...worth it to me seeing i have about a months worth of work on there 7 songs with a full 4 piece band...my suggestions is to do maybe 3 songs at a time and then finish them and get them off the hard drive...and BACK UP YOUR WORK CONSTANTLY! to back it up on cds is a joke because it will take about 8 blank cdrs to hold all the data...so hook up you usb and dump it all onto your computer hard drive. overall im impressed with the quality of recordings and effects and whatnot this machine has to offer...but they really cheaped out on the hard drives. i wouldnt trust filling up the hard drive again :-\

bruno

I get a HDD error every time I leave a CD in the BR1600 - scared the shit out of me when I first saw it - however take the CD out and it works fine. I make sure that I back up regularly though! I think there is a software bug - should upgrade the firmware - but it works well (at the mo) - so will leave it be!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600