Using Pod 2.0 with BR864

Started by Geordie, September 29, 2009, 07:15:14 AM

Hi chaps

First post, so hope you can help.  I've been experimenting with my recently acquired BR864, using a Line 6 Pod 2.0 for guitar and bass, and a Roland TD3 digital drum kit. 

I've been unhappy with the boxy sound of the guitar in my first few recording attempts, and noticed in the Pod manual that "the Pod's output should be plugged into line level, not mic or guitar level inputs".  I'm now not sure which of the 864's inputs to use for the Pod.  Any suggestions?  What about the electronic drum kit - what's the best input for that?

If it's of any significance, I also have a small 4 track Behringer mixer.

Thanks in advance

Geordie

Bluesberry

I have a Pocket Pod and it has two choices for output, guitar out (1/4" mono) to an amp and line out (1/8" stereo) to headphones or line in on another device.  Depending on which way I want to go I have to configure the output in the Pod for either direct (if using line out signal), or 4 types of amp/cab combinations if using the guitar out jack.  This output configuration is a setting that gets saved.  If I am recording with my Pocket Pod I set output configuration for "direct" and use the stereo 1/8" line out to the line in on either my microBR of BR-1200, either way has resulted in really good tones.  If I wanted to plug into an amp I would configure output for the amp type and go from 1/4" guitar out straight into my Epiphone Valve Jr for excellent results.  That is how it works for the Pocket Pod, I suspect the Pod 2.0 is similar.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Pod 2.0 only has one 1/4" jack output, but does have a "direct" or "amp" option to choose.  I choose the "direct" option when recording directly into the BR864, but that means going directly into the 1/4" guitar/bass input on the 864.  That I think is where the tonal problems are arising, as the Pod manual states that "the Pod's output should be plugged into line level, not mic or guitar level inputs".

Should I maybe be going into the 864 via the 1/8" stereo line in?  I guess I could use the Behringer mixer to do that?

64Guitars

You can connect the POD's "Left Output" and "Right Output" to the BR-864's Line In jacks. Of course, you'll need suitable cables and/or adapters.

But, since you have a mixer and you want to also connect your TD3 drums, it would be better to plug the POD's "Left Output" and "Right Output" into the mixer along with the TD3 drums, then connect the mixer's output to the BR-864's Line In.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ok, will try that.  Thanks all.