More Vocals Help, Please

Started by psychmusic, May 16, 2008, 12:57:24 PM

psychmusic

thank you all for your kind responses to my previous post about beefing up my voice. They have been helping wonderfully. I have another problem that is most likely to being a novice though.

When I record. I put the rhthym track down. Then I go back to do vocals on another track. Because of this, I cant get the timing down or predict when the cord changes will happen. Any suggestions about what to do?
thanks

Oldrottenhead

if you have used up four tracks bounce them to two virtual tracks, ie if you have used up v1 tracks 1234 bounce them to v2 tracks 1 and 2 leaving v2 tracks 3 and 4 for your vocals.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

jkevinwolfe

Psych,

You really want to lay down your instrumental tracks first. This makes placing the vocals a lot easier.

If you press Input and then the Guitar and Mic simultaneously you can record both guitar and voice at the same time on one track. This is a good way to record a reference track. You can record over it later.

And you don't need to record the rhythm track by itself first. You can record on all four tracks and the rhythm track together on stereo virtual tracks as Jim mentioned.

Kevin

psychmusic

Thank you kindly for the help. I just plugged my PODX3 into the Micro BR. I really dig the sounds. What about this one, dear gods of the recording device:

I am really just trying to do a few songs set up like this:

one track accoustic guitar
one track vocals
rhythm
Where I get all messed up, is when I lay down a track with the guitar and then go back and try to do the vocals. I think it is because of inexperience. I just cant time my vocals right to the tracks..do i just need more practice?

SteveG

Just make sure you know the song first. If its a cover sing along with the CD. If original practice before pressing record. If you can sing and play together make a guide track like j_wolfe said. It will come together!

jmccull1

ORH,

I'm not sure that I realized that if you press the MIC and GTR at the same time, you can record both to a track. I usually just perform this using an acoustic (use MIC for ambient recording of vocals and guitar). Very interesting. This is why I visit this forum at least a few times a week!

guitarron

Are you singing along with the drum track? If not try that or a click track-otherwise it's just a matter or practice
Ron
btw Headphones are good to use there too if you are not already using them
Quote from: psychmusic on May 17, 2008, 03:39:21 PMWhere I get all messed up, is when I lay down a track with the guitar and then go back and try to do the vocals. I think it is because of inexperience. I just cant time my vocals right to the tracks..do i just need more practice?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

I totally agree with the others.  I lay down the rythm guitar first and then sing along with that.  I order to come in on time with the vocals I use the time counter on the MBR; hasn't failed me yet. Are you having trouble with originals or covers?