How to import and record to a backing track

Started by SteveG, August 11, 2009, 01:09:11 PM

Stan

i already have the backing tracks on the BR, and i have been playing along with them for months now with no problems,

so what i've tried is to start the process on steves list from from #5 down, i go thru list and i have the problems i've described

i've solved the lock up issue, i wasn't doing #8 correctly and pressing the + 4x's so without pressing the + 4x's the BR locks up

well new issue now, says card full, so i must have recorded something somewhere somehow, but i have no knowledge of this, so where are these files located if i recorded something and how do i play them if i can find them, the manual is silent on playing and finding recorded songs :'(

64Guitars

Quote from: Stan on August 26, 2009, 11:40:13 AMwell new issue now, says card full, so i must have recorded something somewhere somehow, but i have no knowledge of this, so where are these files located if i recorded something and how do i play them if i can find them, the manual is silent on playing and finding recorded songs

See page 26 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition ("Playing the demo song"). In step 5 of that procedure, pressing the VALUE [-]/[+] buttons will allow you to scroll through the list of songs that you've created. If you want to listen to one of these songs, press [TR4] (EXE) when that song title is displayed, then press [PLAY]. To erase any songs that you no longer want to keep, see page 58.

If you've loaded MP3s into the MP3/TRAINER side of the Micro BR, they are taking up card space too. To see the list of MP3 song titles, see page 93. To erase any MP3s you no longer want on the Micro BR, see page 98.

If you're still using the 128MB card that came with your Micro BR, you might want to get a 1GB card. You'll find that 128MB is too small and you'll get lots of Card Full errors.

If you haven't already done so, you can erase the demo song from the memory card to free up more space. But first you have to turn that song's Protect setting off. See page 60. After you've turned the Song Protect off, see page 58 to erase the song.

I'm not sure if it will help you, but you'll find a more detailed description of the Import process here:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Micro_BR_Import.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Stan

thanks so much for your response

i wasn't sure as the book said demo song

well now i'm clear on how to find songs and play them :),

i just wished when they played the file name would show on the screen

64Guitars

To see the name of the current song, see page 52. That will also show you how much recording time (estimated) is left on the card.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveG

If you have a card slot in the PC, shove the card in that and see if it will copy then. If not, reformat the card (On the MBR). Or just back the card up (if you have something you don't want to lose) and reformat anyway.

Stan

yea will try
as sometimes it jams and sometimes not

but still cant record and hear myself at same time

SteveG

You must not be selecting track 3 or 4 (Step 18) for the new recording, only thing I can think of. You can play the MP3 back, in stereo, after importing, yes?

Stan

ok another attempt

dont have the lock up anymore :)

however heres where i go wrong

13. Press any TR button, and <> to the PAN screen
what is this about, why do i have to pan? and what do i do or press?
what i've done is just pan the entire screen front and then back using the cursor and press nothing, then when back at the beggining,
i get a "REC" and I execute #14 below, i don't get =, i get TWO "REC" flashing?
14. Press TR1 and TR2 at the same time to link tracks, = appears to signify this.

can i really be this stupid that i can't do this or is there a another issue at hand?

SteveG

There are 5 screens, Rec Track, Track Level, Track Pan, Track Reverb and V Track. Use the cursor arrows, < left and > right, to get to the Track Pan screen. All tracks should show C00, which means panned to centre.

You have imported your backer to TR1 and TR2, so you need to pan these tracks max left and right to get the full stereo field. Do this by setting TR1 to L50, and TR2 to R50. Do this by selecting the track by pressing the appropriate TR button and pressing + or -.

Or  ....  do as it said and on the Track Pan screen press TR1 and TR2 at the same time to link the two tracks, which is when the = sign will appear between them. Pressing - when set to TR1 will now set the pan to max .... 50 each way.

Dont forget to select either Tr3 or TR4 to record your guitar to or you will overwrite one side of the backer!!!

Nearly there now :D

Stan

well somehow i got it too work, not saying i could do it over again as i got lost again
with the panning and pressing the - sign, really dont understand whats thats all about,
not sure if i did it or not as you said the cursor would be at T1 but there was no T1 on the screen only 4 V's,

anyway i will try again and again after i see what you say regarding above,

on another issue, after i record if i dont like it can i just re-record over the backing track or do i have to start all over again?

if i get a recording i like i presume i can rename and re-find it somewhere and export out as a mp3 file somehow?

again thanks for all your patience :)