Jean Pierre

A DAY IN A LIFE INSTRUMENTAL DOBRO-001
Time:
0:00
Volume:
the little story in the big story

the little story in the big story

phew, I'm done with this song that took up more than a day of my life! ;D
I originally wanted to do an intrumental version of this song on the dobro..I didn't have too much trouble with the verses (composed by John Lennon) but the sung bridge (by Paul McCartney) I couldn't figure out how to play it on the dobro..I had to resolve myself...to sing it. ..for the first "psychedelic" break I mixed two lap steel guitar parts, one rising and the other falling; for the final break I used the recording of a symphony orchestra making the chord before a concert. This chord for all the musicians is in A, but the Beatles' song ends on this famous E major held for 30 seconds.

It's child's play to play this part of A in E with the means available to us in our small home studio. ;)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

the physics teacher

I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

ODH

I certainly did "wake up" in that middle section.

Just beautiful
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

way cool man...way cool

the dobro and lap steel and vocals sound amazing

but actually I would like a version with the entire vocal...lol.. you sound great on this.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

Quotebut actually I would like a version with the entire vocal...lol.. you sound great on this.

Don't tempt me, Stephen, don't tempt me!  ;D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Blooby

What a very pleasant listen. Love that build. The part from vocal back to lap steel caught my ear, but lack of big chord made me run to my guitar for the ending.

Great post.

Blooby

kenny mac

I did a cover of this on here so I know how challenging it is.
But that slide work is absolutely amazing.
Love the middle section.
Bravo.

Jean Pierre

Merci Blooby and Kenny

Kenny
QuoteI did a cover of this on here so I know how challenging it is.

Yes, Kenny, of course I listened to your version, as well as Geir's, and Alfredo's.
when I do a cover I always listen to the versions of the other members of SC ..and your version was very good.

Yes Kenny, in fact, as I did this instrumental version, and following an invitation to do so from Stephen :) I said to myself that as I had the track, I would do the whole sung version...it will be easy...NOT AT ALL! it was hard and laborious : my computer and my sound card didn't like the multiplication of tracks at all (I think I had a good twenty;;;also lots of raging cracking from my sound card...Zoltan told me to make Stems??? I didn't know what they were...I'll have to look for details on these stems

Pete C

Really good version JP. I can appreciate the amount of work you put into it !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

I just realised that I had only listened to the vocal version.

This is even better in my opinion. The dobro playing is absolutely fantastic.

Well done JP
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........