(I,m) On Fire - Van Halen Cover

Started by ODH, September 17, 2023, 11:25:11 AM

ODH

On Fire EP copy
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Another I'm On Fire song, this time Van Halen, the last track on the first album. The original is a brash song, two blokes basically showing off. I've gone down a different road.

Drums and upright bass from GarageBand, guitar is the new(ish) Squier Supersonic (recorded just through the phone mic (I love how it sounds unplugged)) and a cheeky meandering piano noodle. 

This year I've done a bunch of fairly faithful covers, it's nice to let my imagination get to work on a cover in a different style.

I've actually swapped the first version for an extended one. It didn't work, I felt there was something missing.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Jean Pierre

I really like what you've done with this Van Haklen song ...really, we should do a mini I'm on fire song festival! ;)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

cuthbert

Interestingly unexpected reworking of this song - sort of a Medieval jazz feel to it, somehow.

Cool stuff - I enjoyed that.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

BerryPatch

A jazzy Van Halen cover was not what I was expecting but I'm all for it! I can't believe you good such a great tone from an unplugged electric, I'm going to have to look up those supersonics! Amazing solo too....I throughly enjoyed this!

TPB

MAn I really enjoyed this one love the way you went a different route with it
Nice
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Geir

This was a fun listen. Really well done and I too am amazed by the sound you got from the guitar just from the iPhone microphone

Love it
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Quote from: Geir on September 19, 2023, 10:13:07 AMand I too am amazed by the sound you got from the guitar just from the iPhone microphone

I should qualify, it's recorded into an amp sim on GarageBand (Cool Jazz Combo in this case with a bit of vibrato), only instead of bringing the guitar in through the audio interface I just have the phone balanced on my knee, recording through the microphone.   I like the open feel that way ( and it's a faff setting up the interface - laziness is the mother of invention)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

Nick,
I love your reimaging of this scorching rocker...
I played this album a hundred times, as in listened to it... i admit I didn't remember it well.... but this brought it back... David Lee Roth screaming away amidst young Eddies guitar wails..
I don't know anyone besides you who could go from there to here..
I agree the guitar unplugged rocks..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Yeah, this was such a nice surprise! Great vibe and overall sound. The vocals sound smokey.

It sounds like a band that was influenced by Led Zeppelin and Charles Mingus. Ready to take on the world after several rounds of bong hits!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Bluesberry

Quote from: Zoltan on September 20, 2023, 06:18:56 AMIt sounds like a band that was influenced by Led Zeppelin and Charles Mingus. Ready to take on the world after several rounds of bong hits!
Now that's a comment.........and, yes, it makes perfect sense...love this cover..the guitars sound very good

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand