Sunshine Superman, Donovan cover

Started by Jean Pierre, July 23, 2023, 07:15:29 AM

Jean Pierre

SUNSHINE SUPERMAN render MP3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
DylanOrDonovan (banner image missing)

Sunshine Superman" is a song written and recorded by Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan .
the song is generally considered a psychedelic pop song ,  folk rock , [ psychedelic folk , and psychedelic rock song .

The song was arranged by two jazz musicians, pianist John Cameron and Spike Heatley, who played double bass. John Paul Jones , who would also act as arranger on some Donovan sessions for producer Mickie Most , played electric bass. Session guitarist Jimmy Page ( The Yardbirds , Led Zeppelin ) played lead guitar,

the sound engineer was Peter Vince, from Abbey Road.

I tried to reproduce the sound of the 60's and this recording by adding saturation on the voice (a tape saturation plugin that is a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the masterpieces of modern music.)...and a Sitar track played Band in a Box.

I played the guitar solo a bit like Jimmy Page in the studio recording
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOZ6ofUt7A
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Pete C

Good version JP. I like the sitar and the Indian-sounding drumbeat which gives it that 60's feel.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Zoltan

Austin Powers, Beam me to the sixties! The grooves, the vibes, that french accent!

This is such a cinematic take on the song that i can't stop myself imagining different music videos for it. JP smoking gitanes with a bored look on his face while go-go dancers circle around him. Lava lamps and kitchy decor.

Cool stuff! Works like a snakecharmer! Bring me the bongos i'm ready to start the toga party!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Jean Pierre

QuoteThis is such a cinematic take on the song that i can't stop myself imagining different music videos for it. JP smoking gitanes with a bored look on his face while go-go dancers circle around him. Lava lamps and kitchy decor.

ah ah ah! excellent Zoltan! ...but I don't smoke gipsy anymore :) ..I'm going to make a little video about this song ;)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

TPB

Very nice brother love intro really set the mood and the Indian flair is nice
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

StephenM

C'est une production tellement merveilleuse JP... de très bons détails et une reprise vraiment agréable de cette chanson classique (que je pensais généralement devoir être celle des Beatles)...

Les commentaires de Zoltan m'ont bien fait rire.

aussi quelques faits intéressants sur les musiciens de studio qui ont été utilisés sur l'orig !

This is such a wonderful production JP.... very great details and a genuinely enjoyable cover of this classic song (that I generally thought had to be the Beatles)...

Zoltan's comments made me laugh quite hard.

also some interesting facts on the studio musicians that were used on the orig!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

ODH

I've just been listening to the original. I thought I only knew the one Donovan song, turns out there are a few that struck a chord, including this. It's one of those songs I'd totally forgotten but then instantly remembered with a rush of nostalgia.

And then I listened to your version and I was like wow. That Gallic flair and romance is so strong. And yes cinematic. The sitar is genius.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

the physics teacher

I first got your youtube feed pushed.
Wow that gave me a good sixties feel t seems you used every trick in the book.
well done JP
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

kenny mac

Listened to this today and enjoyed   
the brightness of it,it's  got a vibe that makes you naturally happy.
Also great musicianship as usual.
Well done.