New Year's Day - U2 Cover for 1983 Fest

Started by Greeny, April 18, 2023, 01:34:00 AM

ODH

Big song for me too. I always remember it was the first song I heard when I turned on the radio on New Years Day 1984 and it was the first time I heard the song.

Your version is somehow new yet familiar, not like U2 and not like Greeny and at the same time reminiscent of both. Anyway I enjoyed it. It's late.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

des0free

Really a great cover of a great song that I like very much.  I listened a few days ago and came back to comment tonight.  Your great ability to do layered panned guitar parts, which you do in your originals too, fits this song very well.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

karl1171

cuthbert

Sorry to get to this so late.

This is the kind of cover I dig - not a rote copy of the original, but rather a more personalized version of it that reminds the listener of the original while bringing something new to it. It's much more interesting to do it this way, at least to my ears.

If I had to choose between the original and this? Well, give me the Greeny version!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

SE

Same as Cuthbert, late to the party but so glad I got to hear, just a great  cover, taking me right back to the eighties.
Just to cool!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

launched

Sweet christ this is fantastic! Glad John bumped it back. Pisser of a tune for sure, love the space filled element. So much room you made that the original had but didn't. And the bass, fucking gorgeous!

You amaze me!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Quote from: cuthbert on May 09, 2023, 01:56:42 PMIf I had to choose between the original and this? Well, give me the Greeny version!

I have to second this. Always Greeny, no matter how you roll the dice. Not trying to puff you up, the song rules bub.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

T.C. Elliott

Unlike most human beings alive at the time, I came to this one late. It wasn't until much later that I was even exposed to it. Still, the original is in classic company for a reason. This take, a smooth take with maybe a 90's indie feel to it, at least a bit, this take is cool. It's almost seductive in it's ability to sneak that lyric into the subconscious while I'm being distracted by the great sound.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London