1977 for 1977 fest (Clash cover)

Started by ODH, July 31, 2022, 09:30:03 AM

ODH

Time:
0:00
Volume:
1977Fest (banner image missing)

This isn't what I meant to do. I had a window of opportunity open and I immediately thought I could use it to finish the project I've been working on off and on all week. Nah. Bash out a quick punk cover. Much more fun.

I used both guitars for this - Tokai Tele and HB Les Paul (panned left-right) and the Squier Jaguar bass. Drums from DM-1. No GarageBand instruments but all put together there. Two hasty vocal tracks.

1977 is the b side to the first Clash single, White Riot. My copy of that single from back in the day is still in my collection. 🤘
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Pete C

That's a cracking cover Nick ! Tele and Les Paul, the classic Clash combo. The Clash are still one of my favourite bands and the first band I saw live so there'll probably be a cover from me of a song from their first album before this fest is finished. Really enjoyed your cover and going back for another listen.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Zoltan

This is my jam! And i really like how it sounds. Those vocals are ace. The drums are positively banging and those guitars. If i didn't know better i'd think this was done in the "good old days".

I ate fish & chips yesterday so i think in some weird and backwards way i manifested this song into being.
Today i ate pancakes. I'll wait and see what comes out from those...

A cracking cover!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

I was in a rush to add comments earlier as my mum and dad had just turned up for Sunday tea (dinner in the NW). They've gone now so I've had a few more listens. There's definitely a bit of Strummer showing through in your vocals and the solo is pure Mick Jones ( as much as I loved the Clash, his early solos always sounded a bit amateurish to me if you know what I mean - no reflection on your playing as you nailed his sound !) I've always considered your version of Another Girl Another Planet as one of my all time SC favourites but this is up there with it !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

ODH

Thanks Pete that's really nice of you to say so.

A couple of minutes ago I was listening back and it occurred to me that the solo I did over the end of the song wasn't there. Went back to the recording, it must have been deleted along the way. D'oh!  Shame 'cause it was fucking amazing...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Rene Asologuitar

Hi ODH,
The guitar is exquisite!
Beautifully done, and I am digging this recording.
Like Zoltan, a cracking cover!!!
Rene

Hook

Get off my lawn!!!
Rock on brother, you're a badass!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ted

I'm a "Greatest Hits" sort of Clash fan, so I've never heard this song. Well done. I really like the guitar tones! Sounds authentically punk.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Redler

This is really good!! Everything is on right place and your voice is perfect on this.

I didn't check out, but I think the original was b-side of White Riot.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

kenny mac

Absolutely superb full of attitude  and power.
Great performance nick,took me right back.
Excellent.