Do It Again (Steely Dan cover for '72 Fest)

Started by BerryPatch, June 09, 2022, 12:02:26 AM

BerryPatch

Do It Again SC File
Time:
0:00
Volume:
1972Fest (banner image missing)

Another classic song from '72 and a great opening track! Very hypnotic groove on the original Dan song, it captured me the very first time I heard it. I don't sway too far away from it but I thought this on would be a fun one to "vamp" to... it certainly was! I just learned that Skunk Baxter doesn't play the original (amazing) solo on the track, there was another guitarist in the intial band! I recently got a new fretless bass so I decided doing this track was a great opprotunity to pick er up. Recorded on Garageband on a rainy day...enjoy

Squier (mostly likely) Fretless PJ Bass
Squier Jazzmaster
Godin Acoustic
Korg Electric Piano and Organ (for solo)
Melltron App (sax setting)
Garageband Drums, Brass and Organ
Shure SM 58 mic
Zoom G3 Multi FX

Pete C

Superb performance and productiom...one of my favourite SD songs and you've totally done it justice. I'd have liked to cover one of the songs on this album but they're way above my pay grade.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

StephenM

no disappointment here!  the guitar reminds me of the orig sounds in "Spooky"
as good as all the music is and I LOVE THE PIANO the vocals are simply outstanding.... this band knew how to find a groove and ride it and certainly you also do!  superb

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

très belle production  une belle decouverte et parfaitement mixé...congratulations
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

TPB

Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

ODH

Several times I've dwelled on this track in the list of '72 songs. I'd love to have done it but I wouldn't know where to start.

This on the other hand is a great version. Beautifully done. Hats off.

I once had that youthful temerity to take on a Steely Dan track myself...Daddy Don't Live in that New York City
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

SE

Nah you,ve got move on from here.
This is another step up.
One my fav songs.
Yes you,ve nail it,I,d clean up the solo but that's it.
Loved it!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

des0free

You've nailed this.  I saw this on the list of famous 1972 songs, and thought "I love that song", but then "But, no way I could pull that off", and certainly not with playing all the instruments.  Great job and a fun listen!  This is one of those songs I turn up when it comes on the radio!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

This is ridiculously good! It's top shelf in all aspects. You have hit the vocals perfectly which is very reminiscent of the original. Some fine guitar picking as well. Your attention to detail is very astute. Well done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?