64Guitars

Abilene
Performed by cuthbert and 64Guitars
Time:
0:00
Volume:
CWFest (banner image missing)

written by Bob Gibson, Lester Brown and John D. Loudermilk

From Wikipedia: "Abilene is a song written by Bob Gibson, Lester Brown and John D. Loudermilk, and recorded by American country music artist George Hamilton IV. The song reached number one on the U.S. country music chart for four weeks, and peaked at number 15 on the pop music charts. George Hamilton IV performed "Abilene" in the 1963 movie Hootenanny Hoot."

Cuthbert: All vocals and acoustic guitars (a Guild D25 and a Wishnevsky; both recorded with the Micro BR's internal microphone).
Candy & Cathy: Backing vocals. ;) *
64Guitars: Bass (Gibson EB-0), drums, and lead guitar solo. The drums are the free "BrushKit" soundfont SFZ samples by Jeff Glatt at Bandshed. I entered the drum note data manually in a MIDI track in Ardour. For the guitar solo I used my Godin xtSA electric using the piezo bridge pickup and the BR-864's Acoustic Processor effect. I wanted to emulate a 12-string acoustic guitar, so I made a copy of my guitar solo track and dropped it by an octave, then I nudged it slightly backward on the timeline to simulate the lower string being plucked slightly before the adjacent high string.

* Candy & Cathy are actually Cuthbert's voice raised an octave with Adobe Audition's Stretch and Pitch effect. If you only double the pitch, it will sound like Munchkins or The Chipmunks. To make it sound more natural, you have to also adjust the formant, which Audition does quite well. If anyone's interested in using this technique to achieve female-sounding backing vocals, there's a free VST called RoVee which does a fairly good job. And some DAWs (Audition and Ardour, for example) have built-in pitch-shift and formant effects, so check your DAW's manual.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I felt like I was on a raft, floating down a lazy river. Love the vibe here.

Blooby

guitarron

Great job Cuthbert and 64guitars!
Love background singers and vocals. Very natural sounding.
Smooth and pleasant guitars.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chapperz66

Brilliant cover chaps. Huge respect for the attention to detail on the "12 string" timing. Sounds very authentic.

Mike_S

Oooh, lovely work gentleman. That was such a mellow chilled journey. Everything was done to perfection (listening in headphones), guitars and bass are pristine and all those vocals just melt you. Wonderful.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Groundy

WOW... what a cracker, great vox and guitar, So-Pro... Well done guys.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

StephenM

I enjoyed reading about your various process techniques.  There are some tasty treats in here...
the whole song is just very laid back and pleasant to hear.  I haven't heard much of either of your music but Cuthberts vocals could almost be a double of some of Warp's sounds...I have heard alot of his because he posts quite often.
nicely done gents!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Redler

The title didn't say anything to me, but when listened to it, it was very familiar...

Great job on a brilliant country song, guys! Nice harmonies and the rhythm guitar sounds fine!

Enjoyable solo guitar performance and the drum arrangement works fine, too. More songs, please!

I've heard of Evan Dando's country cover songs and this could fit to him, too.

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

WOW indeed.

So pro sounding and yeah very relaxing : )

Everything sounds great, but I must say the backing vocals and the fake 12-string impressed me .... a lot.

Great playing and singing as well

Well done !

More please !!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Great to hear some music from you 64G, ably supported by Cuthbert. Love what you did here, you've got a great sound going and Cuthbert's chipmunks are very effective. Thanks for sharing the explanation of how you did this as well, very interesting and it all worked!

Brilliant, a really enjoyable fest entry, and a great collab from two people without whom the site would be nothing.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR