I Stole My Ego - a tworegs and chapperz original

Started by chapperz66, August 01, 2021, 01:12:41 PM

chapperz66

I Stole My Ego
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So - after a short interlude I have finally got to finish the latest Box of Frogs song from the Chapman/Smith Collective.  I can't remember when Trevor sent me his vocals for this but it was several months ago.  And my computer tells me that I started the music in 2020 - so its taken a while.  I have largely recovered from my little health issue.  I don't know if Trevor sent me the lyrics, but if he did I can't find them.  I'll see if he can send them again and I'll upload them.

StephenM mentioned on another thread that I don't do as much guitar as I should, so I put a few extra bars in and went for it on this one.
And no orchestral samples were injured in the making of this song - mainly because I didn't use any!  Plenty of soft synths including Omnisphere, Trillian, synthmaster, pigments and some other Arturia things.
The guitar was a strat through a Fractal axefx2.  All recorded and mixed in Presonus studio 1 4.6 pro.

Hopefully I won't leave it so many months before the next one!

Paul

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Better late than never Paul. It's good you finished it as it's a great song. The music is fantastic, love the organs and harpsichord bits. Those lead guitar riffs are bloody great. Trevor's lyrics and vocals are as always brilliantly performed. The style gives me a bit of a musical feel, like The rocky horror show.
Really great collaboration guys.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Farrell Jackson

A good proggish song boys! It's style is very theatrical to my ears. Great vocal and lyrics Trevor! All the synths are so cool Paul. Yes you need to play more guitar Paul and this pro solo is proof of that. You guys have a winner here! I'm glad to hear you are healthy Paul.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

SE

Defo prog excellence, some great recording  too,
recorder
Boss BR-80

hardlock

Killer guitar work on this fine work of art! Yes, I'll have more please. 8)  And Trev just keeps nailing those vocals and all the keyboard bits seal the deal!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

StephenM

wow this is so great.... your recording is absolutely perfect...there is so much going on kind of like a lost Kansas track with Pink Floyd's Roger Waters singing on it...
oh yes, there is that killer guitar ... I am smiling and air guitaring the whole thing...thanks for thinking of me on that...because that lead sends this great track up another notch...
Trevors vocals are fantastic and what you did with them Paul is excellent and interesting.
the lyrics would be helpful, not because I cant hear Trevors singing them...but because I kind of lose the words in the music..(just how I am_

glad you are doing well Paul...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

That harpischord is delicious. And those little Jon Lord rock organ swoops. The whole thing is full of classy, beautifully-realised retro prog goodness. So many great ingredients and details. And as for that solo - yes, more of that please! Outstanding.

maxit

all good news! and I was very waiting for the next song by you two ! Super daring music as we are used from you, and the synths are 'orchestrated' like it was an orchestra lol. ...what about that guitar? super (I asked kenny mac for some el. guitar lessons but he turned me down lol - gonna ask YOU instead !)
recorder
Audacity

BerryPatch

Superb song. I love all the interplay between the keys (the harpsichord sounding part was a particularly brilliant choice) and my oh my, what vocal and lyric Trev! The processing on the vocals really add depth to the track and the brief guitar work is just what the song needed. The track reminds me a bit of MGMT, especially their second album. Cosmic slice o' prog pysch!

Ferryman

Great to hear you back on form Paul after your health issues. And boy are you back on form! There's so much in this I feel I ought to write an essay about it...... I love the proggy/psychedelic feel, I hear shades of The Nice, a bit of Purple and more modern prog like Porcupine Tree. But it's still your own unique brand of music. I think the guitar solo and the organ, especially toward the end over the "I stole my ego" section are both stunning, but the whole thing delights from start to finish with its twists and turns and stops and starts. I have to admit I wasn't sure about the vocal effect to start with, but after a few listens I really got into it and think it works really well with Trev's vocal, which is excellent and fits really well with the music. Love the concept of the lyrics as well.

It's a belter. Great composition, superb playing and some nice innovation in the production. Loved it, well done both of you. 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR