Flapping broken wings in the shadow of love

Don't wanna live like this but don't wanna be dead
A pack of wolves running round my head
Saints and sinners with a common thread
Spitting against the wind in the shadow of love
Ray Brookes

Jean Pierre

what a great song!
very impressed by the instrumental playing (piano) and the enhancement of the other instruments (bass, guitar, drums)
..and who does the female vocals?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Kenneth

A thoughtful and introspective song here. Nicely done, love the harmonizing vocals.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

TPB

Flapping broken wings in the shadow of love, love the lyrics  great key board work
Went right to the player
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Flipping hell ray, this is brilliant and that piano melody with the drum beat and claps is very catchy.
Amazing piano speed. Your lyrics are thought provoking as ever and tell a good story. Was Mrs. Brookes providing the female vocals? Definitely one for the download.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Mike_S

Most enjoyable Ray. Some great piano work in there. I love the mix... really clear, everything clear as a bell. Great bit of storytelling too.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

I heard this in the car...playing from the "latest" list...so i was trying to guess who it was just from the intro...I was 90% sure this had to be Ray....and i was right...of course then when the vocals started it went to 100%....lol...
this track could be Toto and Christopher Cross mixed together...it is just that excellent.  The piano is off the charts... I would say the drumming is not Jeff Porcaro but then again...who is?
killer track Ray...the only disappointment for me...it's too short...lol...

well, I am going to take this and make a version of it just for me!  love the backing vocals too..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Redler

Top class songwriting and performance! Piano / guitar solo sounds amazing!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman_1957

Wow, a very sophisticated but still compelling piece of music. Superb writing and arranging, it's really clever how you meld the different parts together to make it such an interesting listen. I love it all but in particular liked the breakdown at around 2:04 and the guitar parts as you build back to the final verse. The keyboard playing is superb, some wonderful runs in there, you really are a top notch musician Ray. The vocals and lyrics are the icing on the cake, great storytelling and really good imagery that fits the music so well. Fabulous stuff!

BerryPatch

Brilliant piano work, love that rainy intro. I love the depth of the lyricism as well and the absolutely gorgeous guitar work in the middle of the track. Bravo again Mr. Brookes :)