mp3 question

Started by little_chick, May 29, 2009, 08:49:11 AM

little_chick

I know how to transfer an mp3 from my computer to the microBR, but I have a question about what I can do with it after that.

Say I'm doing a collab with another person and they send me their part as an mp3 file.  I know I can transfer that from my computer to my microBR, but can I then record my part and mix them together on the microBR? 

I've read through the manual about how to turn parts of an mp3 into a working track, but it's a bit confusing.  What about the whole track?

Thanks!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

The easiest way is to transfer their mp3 by "line in" in stereo to say T1/2..........
then add your guitar vox etc to the other tracks then mix and master the whole thing....
Hope this helps

Geir

48's way may be easy if you're just gonna add one guitar or vox BUT it has some disadvantages.
1. _You get some qualityloss (may not be a big issue)
2. You don't have control of where (in time) it comes so you may have timing problems if you are to send different takes back and forth.

What you should do is to copy the mp3-file from the computer to the mp3-folder on the MBR. Then you go to the song you want to import it into. press UTIL choose TRK push right arrow until you see IMP.  ..... ahhh my daughter just took my mbr so the rest is from memory ... someone will corrct me if I'm wrong ... press IMP ... choose the file to import (filename may be truncated) choose the tracks you want to import it to (make sure they're free) and make sure that you import in stereo (to two tracks) if that's what you want eg T12V2.
chose time or measure to say where to place it (usually 00:00)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

little_chick

Okay, the picking the time or measure part was what was confusing to me.  So, if you just do 00:00, it will take the whole track?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

yes, i believe there are tutorials on here that outline the process....i do some searches later...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Geir

Quote from: little_chick on May 29, 2009, 09:20:38 AMOkay, the picking the time or measure part was what was confusing to me.  So, if you just do 00:00, it will take the whole track?
It will take the whole mp3 in any case. The time or measure parameter is to tell where on the chosen track to put it.

Hope that clears it up :)

(think I'll have to buy another MBR ....)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

little_chick

Yes, it does!  Thanks, guys!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: little_chick on May 29, 2009, 08:49:11 AMSay I'm doing a collab with another person and they send me their part as an mp3 file.  I know I can transfer that from my computer to my microBR, but can I then record my part and mix them together on the microBR?  

After you copy the MP3 to your Micro BR, you have to import it to a pair of tracks and set the pan correctly. See this page for the details:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Micro_BR_Import.html

Once it's imported, you can record new stuff on the remaining two tracks, then mix, bounce, master, just as you would if you'd recorded the first two tracks yourself.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig