good guitar effect for an acoustic guitar

Started by tom r, May 10, 2009, 01:07:18 PM

tom r

Hello my acoustic guitar has an under bridge pickup installed i have went through the guitar effects patches and can't find anything which sounds very good with an acoustic? any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

SdC

It's practically impossible to get a good full sound from a piezo pickup. It only registers the movement of the guitar's top, not the dynamics of the air movement. Fine for live amplification, as it is not as sensitive to feedback as a mic. But not for recording. No digital effect exists that can give such a natural sound as a good microphone (and with that I don't mean the ones built into the BR).

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bro

i mostly just use no effects, but in the last ones there are 3 presets called something like piezo. Those are for the acoustic guitars
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Greeny

I use a couple of different methods for recording acoustics...

For electro acoustic I'll often use the 'basscrunch' patch - sounds like a weird thing to do, but it adds a nice depth if you play with the bass/middle/treble settings on your guitar. And I'll sometimes use this in conjunction with the 'onboard1' MIC setting (i.e. GTR + MIC inputs pressed and used simultaneously).

I've also recorded acoustic guitar with the effects switched off.

It's worth trying different things - as not all songs need the same sound / feel.

p.s. I personally think the piezo patches sound crappy...

Good luck!  :)

The Reverend 48

Tom R I would listen to Greenys advice cos he is an expert and has posted a lot of very sweet acoustic Guitar

tom r

Thanks for the advise. Sorry tosound like a bit of a numpty, how do you use mic and guitar effects together, and also how do you switch the effects off?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

guitarron

i mic my acoustics dry-add effects later

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

tom r

Hi Thanks again for the advice. I have been able to get a good sound so thanks again. I might even put the resulting tune on the discussion group?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Greeny

Quote from: tom r on May 11, 2009, 09:29:41 AMThanks for the advise. Sorry tosound like a bit of a numpty, how do you use mic and guitar effects together, and also how do you switch the effects off?

Tom

Press 'input' then GTR and MIC at the same time. If you see a '+' appear between them, you're about to record with both. But remember to change the effect you need separately for BOTH of them.

To switch effects on or off, press 'effects' then on or off, lol. Remember what you've done though, as they will still be off when you come to mastering.

Sorry... this sounds complex, but you'll get the hang of it quickly enough with a little practice