HELP: Sound Artifact When Export To WAV

Started by drutgat, May 09, 2009, 11:21:46 PM

drutgat

Hi,
I just exported a 25 minute MBR file to .WAV, and every few seconds (mostly at regular intervals) there is a 'click' kind of artefact which is NOT in the original, MBR file.

I am going to convert the MBR file to MP3 and see if this occurs again. 

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening and/or how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Bro

I'm not sure but, maybe it's because you don't have enough memory on your Br?
I mean 25 minutes waw and plus the song folder, thats some memory!

Anyway it's just a guess :) hope you'll figure it out!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

drutgat

Hi OjimiHendrixO,
Many thanks for your reply.

After I posted my message, I exported to MP3, and there was no problem, then re-exported to .WAV and there was no problem.

Having originally listened to the .WAV file on the CD that I had burned it to, I found that the problem is my CD player. I have been hearing clicks on it for a while.

By the way, I was blown away by the memory on the MBR. I have a 2GB card - and even though I was using the highest resolution to record, there seems to be bags of space (the particular card I recorded on also had other, long recordings on it, too).

Very impressed.

Thanks, once again for your reply.

little_chick

So, what's the difference between a .wav file and .mp3 file?  Under what circumstances would you use one or the other?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

drutgat

little_chick,
The main, overall difference between a .WAV and an MP3 is that the .WAV file is an example of a file format/type that is uncompressed, and the MP3 format is an example of a filetype that is compressed. (Other descriptions for uncompressed and compressed are 'lossless' and 'lossy' because file compression works by 'losing' bits of information).

There are many different file types which are compressed/lossy and which are uncompressed/lossless.  The advantage with lossy files is that, since they are compressed, they can be much smaller than their lossless counterparts. Obviously, this means that they are easier to send over the net, and that one can fit more on a storage devices such as hard drives, and specialized hard drives (e.g. portable music players).

A jpeg (.jpg) is an example of a visual file type that works on the same principle of compression, and which, by its very nature, also loses data/information.

Disadvantages of lossy files are that the removal of (in this case sound) information can be very obvious (and I find annoying). If you listen to a music performance in its original state (CD), and then listen to even a high quality MP3 of the same performance, you will probably notice the accompanying loss of information. The high frequencies won't be as detailed, and the bass will also not be as present. Overall, the sound won't be as 'rich' as the original source. It will also probably feel 'quieter' and not as 'punchy'.

One other thing on the 'advantage' side of MP3's is that you can choose the bitrate at which you encode (create the MP3 from the original source). This bitrate or resolution, comes in standard increments (e.g. 64 k, 128k, 192, 256, 320), and controls the quality and amount of compression applied, and therefore also affects the file size.

In addition to controlling the final outcome/result (i.e. resolution) of an MP3, one can also control the process by which it is encoded. This means that one can choose between settings like Variable Bit Rate (VBR) or Average Bit Rate, and other settings which influence how the compression is done.

Oldrottenhead

i try and save most of my songs at 192kbp and find it difficult to notice much difference from the original wav file but i'm old and my ears are gubbed, my dog however prefers wav format.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

little_chick

Thanks for the info, drutgat?  I'm positive you've saved me from some future headache because of my ignorance!  :D

recorder
Boss Micro BR