Mastering part of a song.

Started by wiley, May 02, 2009, 01:05:24 PM

Wiley

HI guys ran into a problem.  Does anyone know if I can just master part of the song. say from Measure 20 to 40?  I tried it and exported it but when I play the mp3 there is nothing there!! I just want to e-mail a section of the song but not the whole thing. Can anyone help?
P.J.

Geir

Shouldn't be a problem. I usually use A-B repeat when mastering (always have a click count-in that I don't want in the final mix). How do you go about doing it when it don't work?

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Wiley

I have never used a-b repeat. I have no clue. LOL  I will look at that tomorrow and see what happens.

dragonshade

Wiley.. you don't have to master to extract as an MP3. You really should download Audacity. It's free. and with it you can easliy cut up or modify your MP3's to do what you want, OR export tracks directly out of your BR (using the BR wav program you can download free here) and fade in, fade out, or xut up, and convert the files to MP3.

The Reverend 48

hewhoiscalledj

I'm all for using Audacity or something similar, but if you just wanna get it done quickly on the BR...

From the standard recording mode, press UTILITY > TRACK > EXP > then just select the time frame or measures you want to convert to MP3 or WAVE. It will show up in the MP3 folder or mode. Usually when I do this, I copy the part I want to export and paste or MOVE it to a virtual track just so i have it seperated out for later or further editing/tweaking.

Wiley

Ok Hewhoiscalled. But I wanted to export the whole thing. Actually only 2 tracks. But from measure 20 to whatever.  But I mastered it. And it played nothing on the mp3.. I will have to check out Audacity and some of the others.  I just thought it would be very simple to do.  Thanks for the input.

hewhoiscalledj

I used to have that problem too. In other words, I tried to master just a 2min section of an hour long session. I noticed that it took WAAAAY too long to master a 2min mp3 and what happened was that it tried to master the whole entire 1hr long track... there was no sound up until i got to the part where the 2min section i wanted was at. So it was there, in the middle of the mp3 file. That may be what happened with you...

And that's exactly why i move my target section to its own Vtrack. I dont get the same problem. I'm sure theres a good explanation of why this happens, I would just rather get on with my day...

cheers and good luck buddy.

Wiley

Ahh now I think I understand.  I will try it. Thanks.  Maybe thats what it did as I didn't listen to the whole thing.  I will check it out.
P. J.