I Need Help With Recording Drums Please!

Started by BT Gatefold, May 01, 2009, 01:29:25 AM

BT Gatefold

Hey guys, hows it going? Anyways, I got my Micro BR in the mail a while back and I love it, for the price, you sure get the good deal, anyways, I need help with recording my drums. I know how to record, master and everything, but, I want to record my drums and get a good sound out of it though, because usaully when I record my drums, they sound ok, but when I put my drum track togother with my friends bass and guitar track, the drums sound a bit different, for example, the cymbols are way to loud compared to the snare and bass drum, i want everything loud, but equal, maybe the snare and bass drum to be a bit louder than the cymbols, but overall, i just want the best sound with drums i could get with the micro br. oh, and i want to do this by only using the mic on the micro br, no extra mics or anything like that, just the stock one that it comes with. So if anybody can help me, please do so, it would help alot!! Thanx
oh and one more thing, if you can, give me the settings, effects, etc. that you use to get a good drum sound. THANX AGAIN ;D
Check out my band 'Gatefold' on youtube at:

http://youtube.com/gatefoldmusic

and myspace at:

http://myspace.com/gatefoldrockband

and XBOX LIVE (XBOX 360 GAMERTAG)

BT GATEFOLD

Thanx, we could use all the support we could get!

-BT

jkevinwolfe

BT,

We're cool. But then I guess I shouldn't speak on behalf of the whole community.

One technique I use on the internal drums in the Micro to minimize the cymbals in the patterns where they're annoying, is a mic patch with the Bass EQ +3 db and the Noise Supressor threshold set high to 50 (or even higher) and the release set to 25. What this does is create a shorter decay time. Since the cymbals are the only thing typically in a kit that has a long decay, this tames them quite well. This should work just as well when recording live drums. And you might want to shave a few db off the high end too with the EQ.

You also might try physically dampening your cymbals. Their normal decay doesn't actually sound normal when you mic it. They have a tendency to decay forever. I haven't tried this, but if you get some craft foam (It's that super-thin stuff you get at hobby shops and is very cheap) and cut out discs about the size of a 45 rpm record, then use these discs as giant washers between the cymbal and the mount, you should get a deadened cymbal both in volume and decay.

Good luck,

Kevin