Will I need a mic amp for my AKG C3000 mic plugged into BOSS Micro BR?

Started by jfriesen, April 30, 2009, 08:27:20 PM

I'll mainly be doing 4-part vocal acapella recording (multi-tracking, with me as the only performer) and some time ago I purchased an AKG C3000 mic. Will I need to add a mic amp in order to use this with my BOSS Micro BR?  I'll mostly be using the onboard mic of the BOSSS Micro, but will later start using the AKG mic, and perhaps shift to a Fostex MR8 HD recorder and also use REAPER on my computer. Would the onboard mic amp in the Fostex be ample for the AKG mic?  If not, what sort of low-cost amp should I consider? I also have a Yamaha MX 12/4 mixer. Should I be adding that to the mix later?
Any suggestions would be great.
John

Kody

Hey, I couldn't find that model w/ a quick internet search, but if it's a condenser~ It's going to need Phantom Power to operate. The Micro Br doesn't have enough phantom power for most condenser mics...just plug-in power, for little mics.  Your Yamaha MX should be equipped with Phantom Power...

I use this setup all the time with the micro br and the BR900: Condenser mic:>Mixer(w/phantom power turned on):> Line Input of recorder via RCA cable...Works like a charm!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

jkevinwolfe

Confirming Kody: It requires 12, 24 or 48v phantom power according to the manual.

hewhoiscalledj

Hmm, I think the BR supplies up to 10v... I would suggest using either the Fostex or the Yamaha mixer (with my money on the Yamaha as having the cleaner more transparent sound, but try them both...)

That's a nice mic and would be awesome for vocals and live instruments (in a good room; in a bad room, the condenser will pick up everything including the neighbors dog, bad echos, etc...)

guitarron

with an AKG3000 you will require phantom power of some sort

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis