CF Card unsupported? Update your system to 1.11!

Started by SdC, April 29, 2009, 02:26:01 PM

SdC

Greetings to all,
If you have problems using newer types of CF cards, make sure you visit the Boss website and download the System Updater.
I bought a new BR-600 which had system version 1.00, and it didn't accept any of the cards I had (adata 1GB, sandisk extremeII 4GB) but after installing 1.11, NO PROBLEM (still up to 1GB off course)
Download page: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=1064&iStcd=4
Documentation of the procedure (PDF on the download page) is pretty straight-forward, but I received an email from someone who didn't understand it (and I also saw a lot of questions on various forums) so I made a movie when I updated mine and explained the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb6isV45Dno

Good luck and have fun recording!

recorder
Boss BR-600

The Reverend 48

Thanks for the info...so far I have used an old 512 card I had and have had no problems do I need to update anyway? obviously I would rather not if I don't need to?

SdC

I understand as a regular end-user you'll be inclined to think "if it aint broke, dont fix it" but as an IT guy, I strongly advise to update. Not just for the cards, but it fixes some other stuff too, like possible data corruption when you connect to a Windows PC which has Media Player 12 installed...
Better safe then sorry, I'd say!

recorder
Boss BR-600

64Guitars

I agree with Sander and recommend that all BR-600 users update to 1.11. However, you may already have 1.11, especially if you bought your BR-600 recently, so the first thing to do is check which version is in your BR-600 now. If the middle number (EXT) is 1.00, then you should perform the update. See Sander's video.

The benefits of version 1.11 are:

• fixes problem with CF data corruption when Windows Media Player 11 is running on the PC
  • fixes slow writing to CF card which caused frequent "Drive Busy" and "Card Read" errors
  • improves CF card compatability

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Reverend 48

Thanks for the info..... just checked under EXT it says 1.11 so I am OK!

have had platinum and kingston 1 gb cards in here had to return them.
realy a lot af problems thinking to have an recorder for several years to
see you can not buy no more 1 gb and lower flash cards anywhere .
even san disk who s extreme III  1 gb card that works just fine won't answer a client.
when i ask them for an extra one.
hope the update got in the recorder while it went differentfrom the you tube info.
if it did not update i would get it sold a s p .
al and al a sad  story it does not handle al cards, if i knew would not bought it.

SdC

Hi robert! First of all welcome to the bossbr.net forum. Please don't consider selling it just for the cards! It is an extremely powerful tool, and does so much more than the competition. In the worst case, use it with the included 128mb card and just transfer to the PC more often. A multi-multi-track song is not likely to be larger than that, and even then you could optimize by bouncing.
But: first CONFIRM that you have updated to 1.11! (start the machine up with the left+right arrow buttons pressed, and check the number under EXT)
If you have, you've probably been trying CFIII cards (the newest). If you need to "score" a true 1 GB card, the most likely places to find them are the Internet, Photo shops, spare part stores.
Please don't give up and give the br-600 a serious run!

recorder
Boss BR-600

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SdC

Quote from: guitarron on May 10, 2009, 07:12:30 PMno luck getting a 2 gig sandisk to work
Didn't get it to work at all, or just up to 1GB? System version 1.11? Which card exactly? (the III-series doesn't work, but the II series should)

recorder
Boss BR-600

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder