Stereo External Condenser Mic

Started by launched, April 28, 2009, 11:53:10 AM

launched

I was reading recent post about the onboard microphone and notice ORH's comment regarding a Sony stereo mic. I have a question (To ORH or anybody that has the Sony or similar one): Is it a good mic for recording live shows, and does it use the 2.5v power option? What model is it and what is the cost?

I haven't bought an external mic yet, and want to do so soon.

Thanks,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

jkevinwolfe

I have the ECM MS907. It's a nice little stereo mic that goes for about $70. It uses an internal battery, so there's no need for power from the Micro. I honestly think the built-in mic is a little better quality, but that may be because I have tweaked it a lot more.

I prefer a mono mic for vocals since any movement between left and right is noticeable in stereo. The stereo mic is a good choice for field recordings. It can also give a nice sound when miking an acoustic guitar at the 12th fret.

Kody

I have a Sony stereo mic I bought for $5 on Ebay~ Alot of people have had great results with it....and for $5?! I bought 2! It does require the Plug-in power...

Here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-ECM-DS70P-ELECTRET-STEREO-MICROPHONE-MIC_W0QQitemZ250400622088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250400622088&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here's a sound sample:
https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/end-of-the-innocence~sony-mic-test/msg18762/#msg18762

I also use a Samson CO1 and a MXL 990~ Both mics were about $60, and do the job for me....BTW, I've used the onboard mic for recording a live performance...I stood about 25 feet in front of the stage and it picked up pretty nice~ It wasn't a very loud band though....I bet the Sony would do a better job, but I can't speak from experience~
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

launched

Thanks, guys - appreciate the response. I like the fact that the ECM has it's own power - a little pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. Will have to check the specs.

Kody, thanks for the link - you are right, at five bucks it's worth the risk trying the Sony either way. I think the onboard mic is very good quality myself, but live shows are bad enough sounding - stereo input helps a little bit - thanks!

Thanks again,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Migs

Buy the $5 job.  I did.  I recorded some stuff in the pub last night so will chop that up and post some here.  The guys in the band were amazed by the quality - and a bit disappointed that they weren't as tight as they thought they were.

Oh, when you order your mic, order two.  I wish I had so I could leave a spare at my other house.  At $5 you really can't go wrong. 
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Glenn Mitchell

Just got my $5 "Sony" stereo mic from Hong Kong off Ebay thanks guys. Looking forward to experimenting but very pleased with a couple of test strum and sing along trials.
I thought I'd use it first for the sacrificial tracks. IOW Sing and play the form with a click or drum, then use that as a basis for building up tighter accompanying trax. Then drop the original and do the vox.
Also looking fwd to live recordings of our band in hopes we can improve.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Migs

Bugger.  Sorry guys ... just mastered the tracks and was about to download and realised I didn't bring the right USB cable with me.  Will have to wait till I get home.

Glenn ... you are right.  Great tool for helping you to improve.  Gives a good idea of anything that needs fixing.  Oh, you did "no blues song" for the blues fest didn't you?  Was listening to that again on the way home.  Good stuff.

Bro

Quote from: Kody on April 28, 2009, 05:00:00 PMI have a Sony stereo mic I bought for $5 on Ebay~ Alot of people have had great results with it....and for $5?! I bought 2! It does require the Plug-in power...

Here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-ECM-DS70P-ELECTRET-STEREO-MICROPHONE-MIC_W0QQitemZ250400622088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250400622088&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here's a sound sample:
https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/end-of-the-innocence~sony-mic-test/msg18762/#msg18762

I also use a Samson CO1 and a MXL 990~ Both mics were about $60, and do the job for me....BTW, I've used the onboard mic for recording a live performance...I stood about 25 feet in front of the stage and it picked up pretty nice~ It wasn't a very loud band though....I bet the Sony would do a better job, but I can't speak from experience~

What Kody has done with that mic is a miracle!

DEFIANTLY the 5 bucks worth!

Sounds to be a great cheap mic, considering to buy one myself.
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Migs

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on May 02, 2009, 01:49:38 AMconsidering to buy one myself.
EDIT ... Don't know what that post was about - the internets eat my posts sometimes.  Certainly buy two.

Oldrottenhead

hi launched i used the £5 on ebay from hong kong mic mentioned above. i recorded my friend using it, you can hear results here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mBKOn2E8A
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann