Vocal Mike Advice.

Started by piljoe, April 27, 2009, 07:46:14 PM

piljoe

Good Day--

I'm reaching the point of laying out some vocal Ideas & wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a decent mike??

Thanks,

Piljoe
             Seattle, WA

jkevinwolfe

For a small diaphragm condenser the built-in mike is quite good. It's worth it to do some custom settings with the high end reduced to see if it serves your purposes.

Beyond that a decent large diaphragm condenser will give you good rich vocals. Depends on how much you want to spend. Samson makes a decent one, the C01 which goes for under $100. But you'll be able to tell an obvious difference in this and a mic in  the over $500 range.

piljoe

.....I didn't even give the built in one much thought...

Ted

Quote from: piljoe on April 27, 2009, 08:50:06 PM.....I didn't even give the built in one much thought...

Neither did I--and maybe I should have.  I bought a Samson C03.

It was a slippery slope from there.  I needed phantom power for the microphone, so next I needed a preamp/eq/compressor.  Why do I feel like I've told this story before?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman_1957

Most of the folks on here use the built in mike. It's very good. Listen to anything with OldRottenHead doing vocals, or Greeny's stuff - all done with the onboard mike, and they sound great. This is the real beauty of the MBR - you can take it anywhere and record anywhere. There's a technique to using it, but search through some of the posts on recording vocals and you will find tricks and tips.

Cheers,

Nigel

jkevinwolfe

The beauty of the built-in mic is that it's already there are requires no additional equipment to function. You have so many processing tools you can play with to monkey with the sound of it. The standard mic processing tools include the Enhancer that can really really give the vocal some presence.

And don't forget that you can use the guitar effects and the Master Tools processing for the mic. The Master Tools has a stellar three band compressor that compresses each EQ channel separately for amazing yet clean loudness and presence. (All this is available for an external mic too.)

Like Ted, I bought a mic, then had to get a power supply, then had to get a mixer and found the results were not that improved over the built-in mic. Since I keep my Micro on a mic stand I can move around, the convenience of the built-in mic won out.

As mentioned earlier, the built-in mic is a small diaphragm condenser. These have a potent high end. It will sound more like a large diaphragm studio mic if you tame the high end. Don't turn up the bass too much or the low-end weaknesses become obvious.

Greeny

As Nigel says, the in-built mic (for me) is the complete package. I was truly astounded by how good it is when I got the BR, and have used nothing else since - both for vocals and acoustic guitar. I don't even fiddle with sensitivity settings etc... for me, it's just a case of choosing the effect patch I want, and singing. I hold the BR like a microphone, and you just get used to having the right distance from mouth to mic, and being careful with certain syllables / volumes that might peak or fluff the input level.  :)

Oldrottenhead

like greeny says, the inbuilt mic is all you need, i have a pile of expensive mics i have never used since purchasing my micro. should stick them on ebay cause they are just gathering dust now. tho i did by the little sony stereo mic, which i have only used to record friends gigging.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

piljoe

Thanks for the advice!!!! I'll be playing around w/ the built in Mic today....

hewhoiscalledj

As the others have mentioned the built-in can is quite underated and certainly holds it's own very well. The trick with getting a vocal mic is then you will need a preamp w/ 48v phantom power. if you go that route, a compact mixer can provide this (or a preamp like from ART on cheap, or nicer ones like Avalon, RNP, etc but this gets expensive.) If you are still sold on this idea (it's not a bad one!) look for a large condenser microphone in your budget. The MXLs and Samsons are very good at their price range. Also look up Cascade mics as they have some very well priced stuff. Just try not to get sucked in to buying more than you really need, or worse, buying something that wont work for what you need.