New Guitar Day - Yamaha Revstar RS502 (with vid)

Started by AndyR, August 04, 2016, 01:13:38 PM

AndyR

Holy flip!

I just realised, this is the first non-Fender/Gibson I've acquired in a long time. And it is utterly FAB.

I've been wanting to check one out for AGES, but I just haven't been able to find one to try - even Yamaha London haven't had one for weeks/months ("It's proving a bit popular that one"). In the end I had to order it online when I found one in stock in Brighton. I had fingers crossed, but everything I'd heard was very encouraging.

So here we are: Yamaha Revstar RS502 in Billet Green.

Love Love LOVE it :)

If the rest of the Revstar series are this good - wowsers!

This doodle was recorded with the Yamaha THR10C stuffed in front of the laptop. No pedals or anything, just the guitar controls. My LP and SG react like this on the volumes and tones too, but the P90s in this guitar add a whole new vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGvkcdsU0WY
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

Oh, that's a beauty. It's got the vibe of the Les Paul Jr., but it has its own thing. Sounds killer. Great playing.

Congrats.

Blooby

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

Yep, I've been wanting a dedicated P90 guitar for some time. I've got some humbucker sized P90s that have moved from one guitar to another, but they haven't quite grabbed me. (I suspect I'll be able to figure them out after playing this one for a while).

I was considering one of the 60s Tribute Les Pauls like you got the other day, Blooby - in fact, if they did the 60s in a Gold Top, I might have gone for it. I was also worried about the neck on the 60s, but I suspect it would be OK.

I realised, though, what I really wanted was a Junior, single or double cut, probably two pickups, but I'd consider one. But, right at the moment, they're not cheap!!

When I came across the Revstars, and saw the 502 models with P90s, I thought "wow! Rock AND Roll" - they've got a vibe, somehow.

I've lowered the pickups even further now (since the vid) - it was SERIOUSLY more aggressive than my LP and SG. And now I've lowered it to tone things down a bit, it actually sounds even better.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

Man, I dig that guitar. I love the body & the color. Great sound.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

Back to check it out again. I can't pick up mine until Monday, so I'm living vicariouly through your video till then.

Very cool looking and sounding guitar.

Blooby

Quote from: AndyR on August 04, 2016, 02:28:28 PMif they did the 60s in a Gold Top, I might have gone for it.

Geir

Oh now I'm getting gas again.

You guys are evil!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Lovely looking and sounding guitar, Andy.  GAS here too.

The best guitar playing is done whilst wearing jim-jams.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

AndyR

Quote from: Blooby on August 04, 2016, 07:27:11 PM
Quote from: AndyR on August 04, 2016, 02:28:28 PMif they did the 60s in a Gold Top, I might have gone for it.

Sorry - yeah, I kinda meant "if they still did one in a Gold Top" - they did those, I believe, in 2011 and they went VERY fast, certainly in the UK.

I was looking v closely at a 2016 60s tribute in Satin Ebony - even the Mrs said it looked very pretty. But it was another hundred and fifty or so, and there's something about the Yamaha...

BUT(!) I just checked, the one I was looking at has just got reduced to the same price (give or take the price of a coffee, grande, drink in...) a wallet-opening £499 - SHEESH!!! :o :o :o ... ooo ooo the GAS...

I would be in BIG SH1T if one of those turned up tomorrow as well... ;D ;D ;D
(More to do with space rather than the money - both the Yam and this 60s tribute together now come in for UNDER the price of the Junior I was lusting after - and that she thought was actually the prettiest.... actually, one of the Juniors I was looking at, I could get TWO Yammies and TWO 60s tributes for the price of one single cut with single P90 - shocking... don't they know the Juniors were the "student option"?!?!?!  :D)

Quote from: Geir on August 04, 2016, 07:32:50 PMOh now I'm getting gas again.

You guys are evil!!!!

We aim to please :)

Quote from: Hook on August 04, 2016, 03:20:48 PMMan, I dig that guitar. I love the body & the color. Great sound.
Rock On!

It's partly the colour that got me. There's also a "Shop Black" that, in person, might be even better - but I SO wanted the green. The back and sides are this gorgeous dark red/brown gloss that shows all the mahogany. Both the Billet Green and Shop Black fronts are matt finishes designed to get old quickly. And the hardware is kind of a "brushed aluminium" vibe. It all takes finger prints real easy. It's a real "greasy rock and roller" type guitar (well, that's how I see it!!) - jump straight off your Triumph Trident, throw the jacket and lid in the corner, strap the guitar on and hit the stage.

I think it gets the 11s tonight.

Quote from: ODH on August 05, 2016, 12:01:15 AMThe best guitar playing is done whilst wearing jim-jams.

I had only just swapped out of the leather trousers and boots ;) 8) 8) 8) 8)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

kenny mac

That is an excellent guitar mate and some damn nifty playing there.
Its great to see some video stuff on this site as well.
A great purchase,plenty of tunes in that instrument to come.
nice one.