BR600

Started by paul, February 24, 2016, 01:52:26 AM

paul

G'day all, I'm new to the br600 and having problems with exporting files to Audacity or Musicmatch Jukebox. After recording 4 tracks, then panning and bouncing then using usb to export, the file which results has squeals, hash and a few drum sounds and that's it. There's something I'm doing wrong, but I'm stumped. Hoping someone can put me righ t. And thanks 64.....paul

64Guitars

There are two ways you can export tracks in WAV/AIFF format. One is to use the BR's USB WAV export function as described on pages 167 and 168 of the BR-600 manual. I assume this is what you've tried. In step 5, you need to select the type of export file you want. If you're using a Mac, select AIFF. If you're using Windows or Linux, select WAV. If you select the wrong type for your operating system, that might account for the strange sounds you're hearing.

The other way to export tracks in WAV or AIFF format is to use the BR Wave Converter software which you can download here:

http://www.bossus.com/products/br-600/downloads/

I prefer this method because it's more visual and it lets you export multiple tracks in a single batch operation. This is handy when you want to export all of your individual tracks separately so you can mix them on the computer in Audacity or your favourite DAW.

When using BR Wave Converter, it's important to connect your BR-600 via USB and put it into BACKUP mode (see page 164, steps 1 through 4) before you start the BR Wave Converter program. Otherwise, the program won't be able to detect your BR-600.

After you've connected your BR-600 via USB and put it into BACKUP mode, start the BR Wave Converter program. The screen will look something like this:

If your BR is properly connected and in BACKUP mode, the program should have automatically detected and selected the BR-600 drive. If not, click the Drive drop-down list at the top-left and select the drive corresponding to your BR-600. Next, click the drop-down list under Song and select the song on your BR-600 from which you wish to export. The grid of boxes to the right represent the tracks/v-tracks of the currently-selected song. Green boxes represent tracks that have been recorded and white boxes represent empty tracks.

In the screenshot above, I've recorded on tracks 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 of v-track 1 and tracks 5 and 6 of v-track 2. I bounced a mix of these tracks to tracks 7 and 8 on v-track 8. You can bounce to any v-track you like, but I like to use v-track 8 because it makes it obvious in BR Wave Converter which tracks contain my bounced mix and which contain the individual tracks that were used to make the mix.

To tell BR Wave Converter which tracks you want to export, simply click on them. They will turn from green to orange to indicate that they are selected for export. In this case, I want to export my stereo mix, so I've selected tracks 7 and 8 on v-track 8.

If I exported now, I'd end up with two separate files - one for each track. But that's not what I want. I want a single stereo file. To get this, I need to click on the L/R Stereo Link button below tracks 7 and 8. The Stereo Link button will turn green and a small line will appear between the two selected tracks to indicate that they are a stereo pair and will produce a single stereo WAV file.

Now I can click the GO button. A standard file save dialog will appear in which I can select the drive, folder, and filename in which to export the WAV file. Select the desired file type in the file save dialog (WAV or AIFF). Be sure to give the file a meaningful name and remember which drive and folder you saved it in. Then click the Save button in the file save dialog.

If you now go to that folder using your operating system's file manager, you should see the WAV/AIFF file that BR Wave Converter created. If you load that WAV/AIFF into Audacity or your favourite media player, you should hear your song and it should sound just as good as it did when you listened to it on the BR-600.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

paul

Thanks once again, your knowledge of the subject is amazing. This is exactly what I need to get to the next step. I'll keep you informed of my progress if that's alright........Paul

paul

Thanks for the help recently. another problem is importing files into the br600.     I get to the "import to" stage, tried to send it to Tr78v1 or Trv1(I think this is where I'm going wrong) then  USB import "No File". Tried dragging file into the Br600 icon, but doesn't work.

Pete C

Never used the BR Wave converter - does it run with Windows 10? Since I chamged my PC to Windows 10 I've had problems exporting tracks from my BR600 using export and had to resort to downloading them to an old laptop with an earlier OS. 64's made the BR Wave convertor look so simple I'd like to give it a try.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: paul on March 27, 2016, 11:37:16 PMThanks for the help recently. another problem is importing files into the br600.     I get to the "import to" stage, tried to send it to Tr78v1 or Trv1(I think this is where I'm going wrong) then  USB import "No File". Tried dragging file into the Br600 icon, but doesn't work.

I assume you're talking about importing directly into the BR-600 rather than using the BR Wave Converter. When you get to the screen that looks like this:

IMPORT          [<┘]
  To Tr 1V1

... turn the TIME/VALUE wheel to select the desired track or track pair. The single tracks come first and are followed by the track pairs. In other words, starting from "1" the sequence goes like this:

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   12   34   56   78

So, if you want to select tracks 7 and 8, you have to turn the TIME/VALUE wheel till you get to the end of the list ("78").

If you want to use a different v-track, press the cursor right button to move the cursor from the track value (at the left of the "V") to the v-track value (at the right of the "V").

IMPORT          [<┘]
 To Tr 1V1

Then turn the TIME/VALUE wheel to select the desired v-track (from 1 to 8) and press [ENTER].

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Pete C on March 28, 2016, 03:06:57 AMNever used the BR Wave converter - does it run with Windows 10?

According to this page, version 3.10 or later will work in Windows 10.

http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/2849#recorder

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website