No phantom power on the br80???

Started by Hook, October 11, 2015, 09:06:05 AM

Flash Harry

Dynamics, Shure 58 Beta  -  un-beta-ble
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

bruno

Hey Brother - I have one of these, and they are great mikes - condenser powered by a 9v battery. AKG C1000
B

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/akg-c1000s?gclid=CNj3n9H4vcgCFUfkwgodZHYGaQ

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hook

I do like the look of both the Rode &  the AKG but both are a bit out of my current price range of next To nothing. If the pyle is a pile of crap then I'll have to figure something out. Tomorrow I plan on trying out the br80s mic for vocals on the tune I just started and I should have the Pyle on Wed.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

IanR

Quote from: Flash Harry on October 12, 2015, 03:39:31 PMDynamics, Shure 58 Beta  -  un-beta-ble

I'd go for something in this range as a step up. Otherwise, I agree that you should try to use the onboard mics before shelling out on a cheap mic. I think the onboards will be better than a $21 mic.  You will just have to try to manage the hand noise that you might pick up with the onboards.  Lots of people here seem to do it well.

BTW: The BR800 has phantom power and the ability to start recording with a foot switch.  I use this method when I'm recording vocals into a mic and holding a guitar or at the keyboard. You do pick up the "click" from the switch but it can be edited out.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Hook

Hey Ian, I was thinking about the 58 beta, I have a few of the Samson equivalents & while not nearly as good as the Sure, I've not noticed a huge difference live so I'll probably give those a try. So far in all this buying I have only crossed the 3 digit line (kinda my own personal limit) once but at $130 I couldn't pass up the br80. If the cheap condenser sucks & realistically it might, I'll have to just deal with what I have for now. I might try to sell or trade the Sennheiser & I'm not getting rid of the Tascam 008.
I did think about the br800  but even used they are just too much $ for my obsession when I can clearly write and record anywhere already.  I also just can't fathom not having at least 8 mono tracks to record on.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Quote from: Hook on October 12, 2015, 07:58:53 PMI do like the look of both the Rode &  the AKG but both are a bit out of my current price range of next To nothing. If the pyle is a pile of crap then I'll have to figure something out. Tomorrow I plan on trying out the br80s mic for vocals on the tune I just started and I should have the Pyle on Wed.
Rock on!

Hook. I bought the Pyle pro. It was a pyle of crap and sent it back. The Behringer dynamic( about the same price) was better. Hope it works for you.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Hook

We will see, I'm not holding my breath bur I've been surprised before. I didn't get a chance to try out the br80 mic for vocals today, hopefully tomorrow.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

Well yesterday was pretty good day. I put some 11s on the Epi Pee Wee and my buddy was able to set it up pretty well, can't wait to start using it. I also got the Pyle mic last night and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's nothing to get to excited about but I did a vocal last night that I had already done with the br80s, which isn't nearly as easy to hold and sin as the MBR was. I liking the Pyle vocal better, wish the br80s reverb was worth a crap, what's up with that? So far for $21 I'd say it's completely with it. I hope t be done with this new tune by tomorrow and you can judge for yourself.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Tootler

I've just caught up with this thread.

I bought a large diaphragm condenser mic earlier this year to use with my Samson battery powered personal PA. The PA doesn't have phantom power so I looked for a suitable power supply and found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dual-channel-Phantom-Power-Supply/dp/B00A2NEV0U/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1444994341&sr=1-6&keywords=phantom+power

It runs off 2x9v batteries and works a treat. I'm not sure how long the batteries will last as I haven't used it very often as I mostly use a Shure PG 81 which takes a battery when I'm playing with our band.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity

Hook

Just in case anyone is interested I recorded my first vocal with the $22 Pyle handheld condenser.
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=24045.msg293914;topicseen#new
It's not the AT2035 (not as warm) or the Sennheiser (which runs a bit hot but is super clear) but it aint bad!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely