Hey there, got a question.

Lets say i record something on to Track 1 = 2 and Track 3 = 4,
i then bounce them together, would it make a difference to
recording 1 'instrument' per track?

Thanks.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

hewhoiscalledj

Not too sure I understand the question. If you record on TR12, and then another part like lead guitar on TR34, you are essentially recording 2 seperate parts each to their own pair of stereo tracks. When you bounce, you are combining both stereo pairs into one stereo pair; presumably for mastering to a final WAVE or MP3.

When recording, say, electric guitar or bass, you dont really get any advantages by recording to a pair of stereo tracks like TR12. You may as well just record each instrument to it's own individual track like TR1, or TR2. Not that you cant experiment with different techniques (like adding an effect to only the Right track, or TR2.)

I would suggest using recording pairs like TR12 when recording live bands (like at a show or for practice,) or perhaps if recording drums to capture the "stereo image." Keep in mind, that the MBR is limited in the sense that you may only record to 1 track at a time or 1 stereo pair at a time. You can always record multiple instruments to one track, but you wont be able to seperate them out while applying effects like EQ and Compression or whatever else you want to use...

64Guitars

It depends on the instrument and the effects used, if any. For example, an electric guitar or bass is monophonic and should usually be recorded to a single track. However, the output of the Micro BR's Tap Delay effect is stereo. So, if you're using the Tap Delay effect, you should record to two tracks, even though the input signal is monophonic. But, if you're not using the Tap Delay, you should only use a single track for your electric guitar or bass as there's nothing to be gained by using two tracks.

Don't get confused by "tracks" and "channels". When you bounce, the four selected v-tracks are connected to the four input channels of the BR's built-in mixer. The output of the mixer has two channels - left and right. The panoramic position of each of the four input channels can be adjusted with the Pan setting. So, even though your guitar, for example, is recorded to a single track, you can place it anywhere in the stereo panorama while bouncing. So you don't have to record the guitar to two tracks to get stereo. In fact, when you do record an electric guitar to two tracks, you don't get stereo - you get two identical mono tracks. Since the Micro BR's mixer only has four input channels, you don't want to waste them. So don't use two tracks to record an instrument or voice unless there's something to be gained by it. Examples of when you would want to record to two tracks are:

• electronic keyboard instruments often have stereo outputs (left and right) which you can connect to the Line In of the Micro BR and record to two tracks.
  • using two or more microphones to record an acoustic drum kit, acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, multiple vocalists, or anything that will benefit from using two or more mics.
  • anytime you use the Micro BR's Tap Delay effect.

For recording a single vocalist, there's usually no benefit from recording to two tracks unless you're using the Tap Delay effect. So just use a single mic and record to a single track.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Guitar-Maniac

thanks guys, that cleared it up. Cheers!
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D