Brown Eyed Handsome Man - Buddy Holly - odh for the John Lennon thingummy

Started by ODH, August 22, 2014, 12:38:54 AM

ODH

Brown-Eyed Man v2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
LennonsJukebox (banner image missing)

Couldn't let this fest pass without a Buddy Holly cover, so here's my "Brown Eyed Handsome Man".

It's a song written and first released by Chuck Berry in 1956, released posthumously by Buddy Holly in 1963.

It's amazing how much Holly achieved in a four year career when you think about it.

"Bandmate Waylon Jennings had given up his seat on the ill-fated flight, causing Holly to jokingly tell Jennings, "I hope your ol' bus freezes up!" Jennings shot back facetiously, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes!" Reportedly, it was a statement that would haunt Jennings for decades" (VH1's Behind the Music "The Day the Music Died" interview with Waylon Jennings) [Wikipedia]

Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Chuck Berry
(Buddy Holly version)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Tangled Wires

Not too familiar with the song, might have heard once or twice before, however I really enjoyed this and yet again you have totally managed to capture that authentic 50's style and sound.

I do particularly like the lead and rhythm guitar parts....did you use one of the garageband amps as I love the tone?

Very assured vocal delivery, its very quick and I guess a bit tricky, but you pulled it off with aplomb!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pete C

Nice one Nick - again you've really captured that 50's vibe.  Great cover all round - really enjoyed it !

This fest was a bit slow taking off but its really picked up this month.  Nice challenge to play songs you'd never think of doing or never even heard.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hilary

I love Buddy Holly and I loved the guitar tones too, very 50s. It sounded quite quick and wordy but you managed superbly. Nice one Nick!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hook

Damn brother, I love this, very cool cover of a super cool song. I thought about this one but didn't think I could get all those guitar licks right, well done.
Rock oN!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Great tones on this, you can imagine the 45 spinning on the turntable. Cool cover, captured the spirit of the age.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

cuthbert

Nice one, Nick! I know the Chuck Berry version best, but I've heard the Buddy version as well (he made it "safe" for those Fifties kids).

Great tone on the guitar, and you captured those riffs well. This must have been a real bugger to sing...lotsa words in them measures. :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Farrell Jackson

Great job Nick! You've grabbed hold of that 50's sound and shook it up a bit. Cool guitar playing and tones. At that tempo it had to be a real tongue twister. I know the C. Berry and the B. Holly versions well but my favorite one is the bluesier Robert Cray version. Nice work on this!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Greeny

ODH

Thanks for listening and for the comments

Quote from: Tangled Wires on August 22, 2014, 05:20:07 AMdid you use one of the garageband amps as I love the tone?

Yeah, the rhythm part is using the Tweed Rhythm sim setting and the lead the Fifties Rock and Roll.  I'm getting my Tokai Breezysound (telecaster) in through the magic of the Apogee Jam device.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter