Drum Arrangement Worksheet

Started by Ted, March 24, 2009, 02:37:26 PM

Ted

01 Lucky 13
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is a worksheet I created to help me with my drum arrangements.  Others may find it useful.  I sure do.

The image is an example of how I used the sheet to arrange the attached song.

drum_worksheet_sample.jpg
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony

Thanks again, Ted.  You will find a ready audience here for both the song and the worksheet.  This is a forum that likes guitar and drum patterns without a doubt.

Why no space on the worksheet for tempo or drum kit?  Is that deliberate?

That's not a criticism because I plan to use the worksheet on the thing I'm currently doing rather than the envelope that the drum pattern is beginning to grow on.

Thanks again, Ted.  Two great posts in as many days.

Ted

Quote from: Tony on March 24, 2009, 03:09:22 PMWhy no space on the worksheet for tempo or drum kit?

There certainly could be a spot for the tempo and kit on this sheet.  I suppose the reasons I don't track those on this sheet are...
  • I use copies the "Track Sheet" from the Owner's Manual (p. 124) for those--the kit in particular. (see track_sheet.jpg)
  • If the tempo varies within a song, I note that above the part or pattern in the arrangement (see drum_worksheet_sample2.jpg).  I often halve or double the tempo of particular patterns to get them to fit the song.

I've attached the original Excel document, so feel free to tweak it as you like.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony

Thanks for that.  I'm not given to changing tempo within a song (intentionally) but I tend to keep records so my idea of tempo was simply to record it for when I go back and try to change things, hopefully for the better.

I'll have a play with the excel sheet.  Thanks for loading it up.

Geir

Hey, thanx!! Always struggling with keeping track of what I do with the drums. And a really good song!! You should put it up on "post your work" !!

Cheers

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

Thanks.  That's a first draft of the song.  Maybe I'll post it after I polish it up some.  First, I need my replacement MBR.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Jim2711

Good work Ted on the arrangement sheets.... I'm only a newbie, but with advice from Tony, 64 Guitars and a few others, Drum Arrangements are quite simple to do, having your worksheet only makes the process that much easier..Cheers.   Jim2711...

Satchwood

I've found your arrangment sheets to be very useful, Ted!  It makes editing and keeping track of drum fills and such a breeze (well at least like simple bookkeeping). 

Thank you very much!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)