Undertow - odh original

Started by ODH, January 16, 2014, 08:09:31 AM

ODH

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Original song, not to be confused with the Genesis song of the same name.

I seem to have been writing this one for decades, literally. Did the last few bits of lyrics this morning. Not sure I'm quite happy with the mix.

There is a 'video' on ebutuoy of the part finished first version from around '95,  I'll post that for reference if I find it. Not a big user of ebutuoy to be honest.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

steelguitar

The song is not available for me  : the soundcloud player does not work :-(
Hope to listen to it soon!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

FuzzFace

This is really cool song... I LOVE the guitar tone!  Great bass.  Really captivating and elaborate arrangement...  I didn't expect the string section!  The buildup and payoff is just perfect.

Great job!  This is my favourite of yours!

(There is also an R.E.M. song "Undertow").

Fetchez la vache.  What?  Fetchez la vache!

Redler

Very hypnotic (on a positive way)! The pizzicato strings are just fantastic! Here's so many elements that you've put very well together; some proggy/psych stuff and...I can hear the ghost of Wire on some spots. I'm on my second listening. Great listening!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

ODH

Quote from: steelguitar on January 16, 2014, 10:14:29 AMThe song is not available for me  : the soundcloud player does not work :(
I hate Soundcloud.  It's like they try to find more and more ingenious ways to prevent people hearing your stuff.  I tried uploading the m4a file directly here but that doesn't work either (I'm in work now otherwise I'd convert to mp3).

Quote from: FuzzFace on January 16, 2014, 10:23:01 PMFetchez la vache.  What?  Fetchez la vache!

Quote from: Monty PythonARTHUR:  Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD:  I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal
    food trough wiper!  I fart in your general direction!  Your mother was a
    hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD:  Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD:  No.  Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
    [sniff]
ARTHUR:  Now, this is your last chance.  I've been more than reasonable.
FRENCH GUARD:  (Fetchez la vache.)
OTHER FRENCH GUARD:  Quoi?
FRENCH GUARD:  (Fetchez la vache!)
    [mooo]
ARTHUR:  If you do not agree to my commands, then I shall--
    [twong]
    [mooooooo]
    Jesus Christ!

Ferryman_1957

I wasn't expecting strings! Nick this is great, the guitar sound is fabulous, the bass is great as well, I love the way it cuts through at about 1:52 and the edgy riffs and changes work really well. I'm getting a hint of Wire and some Magazine coming through here but it's a quite unique and proggy in its approach. The string section is awesome, great compositional skills and it is really unexpected.

The mix sounds good apart from one thing to me, the vox are getting a bit lost, especially when they first come in. The "undertow" parts are fine though. Perhaps you could pull the rhythm guitar back a bit when you are singing, or just eq the vox so they cut through the mix a bit more. Nothing major though, the instrument mix and sounds are great IMO.

Fantastic stuff, right up my street. Very well done!

SwanSong

hi Nick a beautifully played and well composed. song..
wonderful guitar sound and playing and nice vocals.
agree with comment.s wish u the best and bumping
a well worth song to the topp Neil.!

Bluesberry

sweet goodness, what a monster proggy jam going on here, I love this.  Very well done. All the parts feel like they belong, telling a strange twisted story.  Fantastic man, really fantastic.  I'll be listening to this one a lot.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Quote from: Ferryman on January 17, 2014, 01:51:42 AMFantastic stuff, right up my street. Very well done!

Took the words right outta me mouth...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

ODH

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

It's nice to have finally got this one out of my system.  There was a version of this as early as 1996 or so.  Two versions in fact with different vocals - I combined the two to get this one.  Both had long spaces where lyrics remained un-written.  I never pegged it as a proggy song, although now you mention it...