Don't Let Me Drown - the REAL version

Started by Picker, December 30, 2013, 01:53:13 PM

kenny mac

Wow,this is a great track and I'm well impressed with the recording.
The vocals are also nice and clear.well done on a great track.

tolga

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Yamaha Pacifica 112VM

Fender Squire

Picker

Will definitely look up those doubling techniques this weekend, thanks Geir! 

I had a chance to play this song with my band tonight.  It sounded pretty good, but a little tricky around the bridge.  It should come together pretty easy though.  It's harder to sing the chorus lines while playing it at the same time.  We are a 3 piece so there's not a lot of room to float.
recorder
Boss BR-800

madrab

To loud guitar?! No way.
Great song and singing.
If you have the chance, record with your band. That would be great to hear, with or without errors. The br800 onboard mics are ok, but if you are a three piece and have four mics that can be really great – drums in the vocal track is just part of the good..

Hi, I'm playing catch-up so a bit late getting to new posts. You certainly know your way round your instruments and the recording side of things. Love this.  Roscoe
recorder
Boss BR-800

Picker

To Geir,

Thanks for the links, I'm about half way through reading them and can see I have a number of experiments ahead of me.  I especially like the posts by AndyR and want to try the EQ trick on the guitar.  I've read before about EQ-ing to make space for all the instruments, so I look forward to trying it.

I also really liked how he dissected and broke down his process for his song.  I think this is really key for getting going on song writing.  I did a lot of reading and studying the art of song/lyric writing over the last 6 months before really getting going on it in the last couple months.  Something that has really helped me is to just let go a bit.  I try not to worry if my lyrics are not completely coherent and connected, or if they create a story or even if I like them.  Just because I have put it to tape, doesn't mean the song is finished.  If at any time I come up with a brilliant lyric or new part for a song, I'm changing it without looking back.  I think this helps free me up to just get the damn thing done. 

And frankly that is what I admire about the people on this website is the volume of work they have done.  They have songs to their name, completed or mostly completed and you can't get to that point if you keep getting hung up on perfection.

So as an example, the first lyric in this song is "Stab me with your spear".  I feel really stupid saying this but, I was watching the Spartacus series around that time and was trying to come up with a melody and idea.  That line got the ball rolling, and it's kinda stupid but I don't care (although still slightly embarrased). Besides, I always have the option to change it later if it bugs me or I suddenly think of something brilliant.

Sorry for the ramble!
recorder
Boss BR-800

T.C. Elliott

I really like this song. Seriously good. Yes, the guitar on the left channel is "up" a bit in the mix. It could be faded down a bit to balance out with the rest of the mix. I think the vox is "down" a bit, but if the guitar on the left channel is down a bit I think that issue goes away. That being said, it's a killer song and the mix isn't far off, imo. I enjoyed listening a lot.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Picker

Thank you TC for the constructive criticism.  I'm not sure what I'm working on next cause I really want to get to writing, but I might work on this song and try to improve the production with what I am learning on this site.  Whether a song is likeable or not there is also a production quality.

I'm very glad I stumbled on to this site, I think I will learn a whole lot in the coming months/years.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Gnasty

What a great song! I love this kind of music. Its like Kenny Wayne Sheperd meets Arc Angels.
Your vocals are amazing and i love guitars so very good playing.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

hooper

I like the sound of the vocal on this and especially the harmony on the chourses.  Cuts through the mix really well.  I think it's been said here before, seems like it's impossible to correctly hear your own voice on a recording.   The guitars sound good and the played-by-human drums do too.  Nice job! 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.