Yep! In it over my head! :)

Started by galestermusic, March 08, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

galestermusic

I have bit a big piece off with this endeavor and got in it WAY over my head!

I have no choice now but to succeed. SONAR producer has done some good things actually. I put for RAM in my puter so I have 4gb now. I will have to upgrade to a different windows besides Vista. But the really great thing is after all these years I used music theory to teach my self triad chords on the keyboards. Never touched them. Satch I'm following your example. :)

Really want to be a fast learner but that has already messed me up a couple of times. Moving kinda smoothly now.

SteveB

Oh, Greg, it starts off so small...then one day you turn around, and...

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

64Guitars

Quote from: LESTG on March 08, 2013, 01:21:24 PMBut the really great thing is after all these years I used music theory to teach my self triad chords on the keyboards.

The next thing to learn is inversions. With basic triads in the root position (root note on the bottom), you have to jump around a lot on the keyboard to play chord progressions. With inversions, you can play the same chords without having to move your hand a great distance.

For example, you can move from a C major triad in the root position to an F major triad in the 2nd inversion without moving your hand position at all. You only need to change your fingering. The C chord is played with the thumb, first, and third fingers, while the F chord (2nd inversion) is played with the thumb, second, and fourth fingers. Likewise, you can move to a G major triad, 2nd inversion by moving your hand position by only two semitones. To move from a C to a G in the root position would mean moving your hand position by seven semitones. This can be hard to do quickly and smoothly. So you can see how inversions really simplify your chord changes.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Personally, I use 2nd inversion chords a lot...in fact, maybe too much. ;) I can't help it - I just like the sound of them better, with the lower 5th being played before the higher root (1st). Using root and 2nd inversion is a quick and easy way to go from I to IV chords.

I've been trying to use more 1st inversion forms lately, which is the 3rd, 5th, and root. This also an interesting voicing.

Mixing them all up is where the fun comes in. :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

galestermusic

Thanks for the heads up Steve! :) Actually I look forward to it. A while back I noticed I have been a member here for 5 years now and I have grown a lot musically. A LOT of room for learning and growing more. Going to have to put myself on a schedule to learn all the things I want to learn now.

Many years ago I messed with inversions in alternate tunings, something like Alex Hutchinson does using EADGCF. But I could never get the hang of it. Always wanted to learn piano.

galestermusic

So I'm getting into this thing with SONAR. I decide to work on a song by Thin Lizzy (Phil Lynott) for dead fest. Really pleased with how it was coming a long and then BAM it all crashed. I know I was using VISTA and upgraded to 4gb. I didn't install the 2a update for x2 producer as it will not run with VISTA. I lost everything.

Save my work Save my work Save my work! lol

I switched machines to what amounts to a laptop. It's a Dell all in one 2.5ghz 4gb RAM running windows 8. Reinstalling everything. I will master this!

Auroran

Quote from: LESTG on March 09, 2013, 02:24:28 PMSo I'm getting into this thing with SONAR. I decide to work on a song by Thin Lizzy (Phil Lynott) for dead fest. Really pleased with how it was coming a long and then BAM it all crashed.
What were you doing when it  crashed? Whatever it was, don't do it any more. ;D

I'm on Sonar 8.5, but there are a few things that Sonar in general doesn't like:

1. Dimension Pro can crash Sonar. Be gentle with the amount of sustained patches.

2. Don't try to open or insert anything when it is in play. If you're playing back a song, don't try to open a vst or anything that opens a 3rd party window. It won't crash it often, but on occasion I've seen it if I've been using the computer for long periods (days).

recorder
Boss BR-800

galestermusic

Auroran, I honestly don't know what happened. I down loaded a 1900 page pdf and been watching videos. Got a good one with the $50 off offer that cakewalk had and got a video from groove3. I'm right along :)

galestermusic

Quote from: SteveB on March 08, 2013, 02:27:40 PMOh, Greg, it starts off so small...then one day you turn around, and...

Been Meaning to put this up Steve. It has started :)

SteveB

Oh, Greg, that's very, very, nice.  :)
I'm possibly still ahead of you in the electrical Spaghetti...but don't worry, you'll catch up!
Is that a cheeky bass I spy at the extreme edge of the photo? Again, nice.
Just a recommendation (and you'll soon realise it makes sense), when funds allow, invest in a good set of powered speakers, they will do your musical endeavours proud.
Good luck with ALL.  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon