BR Explorer v1.05 (BR-800 fixes)

Started by 64Guitars, June 13, 2011, 09:45:00 AM

64Guitars

I fixed a few minor BR-800 incompatibilities in BR Explorer.

1) The last column of the Song List now shows "BR-800 v.1.00" instead of "???". The version number is still wrong (always 1.00) but there's nothing I can do about that. That's the number the BR-800 writes to its files. I'm hoping that the expected new BR-800 update which adds track and drum pattern editing, etc. will write the correct version number to its files. If it does, then BR Explorer will show that version for any songs created with the new update.

2) BR Explorer now recognises the BR-800's memory card volume label ("BOSS_BR-800"), so the Backup button should now be available without having to rename your memory card to BOSS_BR-600. I also added "BOSS_BR-80" with the hope that Roland will use that volume label for the new BR-80. If they do, then BR Explorer version 1.05 will recognise a BR-80 memory card. If not, I'll have to make another update of BR Explorer to make it recognise the BR-80. There may be other BR-80 incompatibilities, depending on whether Boss sticks with the existing file formats or creates a new file format for the BR-80. I won't know until the BR-80 is released and I can look at its files.

3) I've added a tab for the SKETCH folder in the Media Player. You should be able to play any WAV files in that folder using BR Explorer's built-in media player.

I also made one change which affects all BR models. In the past, the Track Usage grid of BR Explorer has not always agreed with the same grid in Roland's BR Wave Converter. Where they differ is when a track is recorded then erased. BR Wave Converter correctly shows the track as empty, whereas BR Explorer showed it as used (green). The track usage information is stored in the event table (the TAKE_EVT.BR0 file). Unfortunately, there's no documentation for the event table record layout and it's quite difficult to decipher. I thought I found the byte that was changing when a track was erased and modified BR Explorer accordingly. At first, it seemed to do the trick. But then I found a case where BR Explorer and BR Wave Converter still differ. So, the Track Usage grid in BR Explorer v1.05 is a bit more reliable than in previous versions, but it's still not 100% reliable. Occasionally, erased tracks will still show as used when they should show as empty. But, hopefully, that won't happen as often in version 1.05 as it did in previous versions.

You can download BR Explorer version 1.05 here:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/BRX/index.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

Thanks very much.  Your work is much appreciated.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

guitarron

recorder