Backing up SD card to PC

Started by SpikeVelvet, May 26, 2011, 11:14:39 PM

SpikeVelvet

I want to back up a pretty full SD card to my PC. But even though I've named all my songs within the MicroBR when I view the Roland Folder they show up as "SONG0001.BR0" etc.

I have created a folder on my PC Desktop to back up files to. Some of the songs in this folder have names that are redundant to the files in the MicroBR.

So if I try to move files of the same name from the MicroBR to the PC it will overwrite the Data, correct? And I will lose one of the songs.

How do I get around this? Can I just rename the files and keep all the files?

Why doesn't the BR keep the name you give a song inside the machine?

64Guitars

The BR saves the song name inside one of the files, so you won't see it when you view a list of the files and folders from the backup on your computer. "SONG0001.BR0" is the name of a folder, not a file. It contains all of the files needed for one song. Each song has a similarly-named folder. You should not rename any of these files or folders or the BR won't recognise them anymore.

The easiest way to backup your BR is with BR Explorer. It will prompt you for a descriptive name for the backup, then it will create a sub-folder for the backup and copy all of the files into it. By giving each backup its own folder, there's no conflict of filenames. You can download BR Explorer here:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/BRX/index.html

It lets you browse your backups on your computer and see the song names as well as other details about each song. You can also rename songs with BR Explorer, give them an additional long title, and add notes about each song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

SpikeVelvet

So can I create a folder for each individual SD card I use? Can I transfer a song from one SD card to another?

64Guitars

Quote from: SpikeVelvet on May 27, 2011, 10:43:27 AMSo can I create a folder for each individual SD card I use?

Yes. BR Explorer will create the folders for you based on the name you enter when prompted for it.

QuoteCan I transfer a song from one SD card to another?

You can copy a full backup to another SD card. Just put a blank SD card in your Micro BR and connect to your computer. Then start BR Explorer and select the desired backup folder from your hard drive. Click the Restore button and BR Explorer will copy all of the files and folders from the backup folder to your Micro BR.

Copying individual songs isn't possible with the current version of BR Explorer, although it's a feature that I hope to add in the future. Roland doesn't recommend copying individual songs. They tell you to always backup the whole SD card. However, if you have a good understanding of your computer's files, directory structure, and file management utilities, you can copy individual songs. You just have to make sure that all of the files and folders are placed in the right location within the BR's directory hierarchy, and that the song folder is uniquely named using the BR's naming format of "SONGxxxx.BR0", where "xxxx" is a unique 4-digit number from 0000 to 9999. If you fail to ensure that your song folder names are unique, you'll overwrite songs that are already on the SD card. If you fail to name your song folders in the correct format or you place them in the wrong location, they will not be recognised by the BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Geir

Just tested the BR explorer on the BR800, and it displays everything fine, but the "backup/restore"-button shows restore. Am I doing something wrong?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on May 27, 2011, 11:41:09 AMJust tested the BR explorer on the BR800, and it displays everything fine, but the "backup/restore"-button shows restore. Am I doing something wrong?

Oops! No, you're not doing anything wrong. When I wrote BR Explorer, the BR-800 didn't exist. The label of the Backup/Restore button is toggled based on whether it finds a BR disk attached to the computer. It recognises a BR disk by its volume name. Disks with any of the following volume names are considered BR disks and the button is changed to "Backup" when that disk is selected.

• "BOSS_BR-532"
  • "BOSS_BR-864"
  • "BOSS_BR-900"
  • "BOSS_BR-600"
  • "MICRO_BR"

Obviously, I'll need to add the BR-800 to that list, as well as the BR-80. What is the exact volume name of a BR-800 disk, including underscores if present? Is it "BOSS_BR-800"?

I might also think about detecting a BR disk in a different way. Instead of looking at the volume label, I could look for key folders and files. For example, it's a BR disk if it has a ROLAND folder in the root directory, a BR0 folder within the ROLAND folder, and one or more SONGxxx.BR0 folders within the BR0 folder. If I do something like that, it will work with all of the current BRs and probably future BRs too (if Roland doesn't change the folder structure).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

"BOSS_BR-800"
I tried renaming it to "BOSS_BR-600" and voila!! it worked ;D ....

Hope I didn't do something stupid. I'm backing up now and will try restore later ..... that may take a while tho, got a 8GB SDcard !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

hope you are bringing the br 800 with you geir
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 27, 2011, 02:04:22 PMhope you are bringing the br 800 with you geir
I think I'll have to leave it behind to make room for my tux ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann