The DOWNFALL OF Home Recording - Recordings aren't getting any better

Started by Ted, August 28, 2024, 02:41:34 AM

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on September 17, 2024, 11:26:53 AMI think recording takes alot more time than generally I have wanted to give it

That's true for me too. I believe it's really fortunate that I started with a Micro BR. My intention was to have a simple device to capture my ideas before they disappeared; a digital version of the cassette 4-track I used to use. But the learning curve on the Micro BR was steeper than I expected — not too steep, just not super easy. And I discovered how powerful it really is, if you let it get in your brain.

I definitely have gone obsessive mad-scientist on the MBR, but that takes a lot of time. In the end, the MBR is a great tool for capturing ideas quickly, but the fiddly nature of it is a soft barrier that forces my to ask myself if I'm happy enough with what I've done, or do I want to go down the rabbit hole and spend more hours obsessing.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on September 18, 2024, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: StephenM on September 17, 2024, 11:26:53 AMI think recording takes alot more time than generally I have wanted to give it

That's true for me too. I believe it's really fortunate that I started with a Micro BR. My intention was to have a simple device to capture my ideas before they disappeared; a digital version of the cassette 4-track I used to use. But the learning curve on the Micro BR was steeper than I expected — not too steep, just not super easy. And I discovered how powerful it really is, if you let it get in your brain.

I definitely have gone obsessive mad-scientist on the MBR, but that takes a lot of time. In the end, the MBR is a great tool for capturing ideas quickly, but the fiddly nature of it is a soft barrier that forces my to ask myself if I'm happy enough with what I've done, or do I want to go down the rabbit hole and spend more hours obsessing.

for me it is part of the pleasure ( or is it pain?).... the learning curve... certain technical things I like to learn about... but can you imagine all the things good engineers had to learn back in say the 60's, 70's. 80's... taking notes until you got it in your head... and I bet there was a lot of different ways it was done then too...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

I make it a habit of NOT listening to YouTubers, especially in the area of Home Recording.  One of the very few exceptions is Joe Gilder.  He's one of the few who's not obnoxious.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

AndyR

Quote from: Johnbee on Yesterday at 06:16:58 PMI make it a habit of NOT listening to YouTubers, especially in the area of Home Recording.  One of the very few exceptions is Joe Gilder.  He's one of the few who's not obnoxious.

:) John B

I'm kinda the same... but if someone here recommends something/someone I will give it a shot if it's an area I'm interested in. Don't always agree with it ;D
Most of the youtube generated recommendations, though... I ignore those now unless I'm interested in getting annoyed with them... (recently learnt you can tell it to stop recommending certain things).

The content on "music" is like all subjects on the internet - how much of it is just people regurgitating something they heard and taken it as truth without thinking?

But Joe Gilder - YEAH, big fan of him.

Mrs R and I call him "Cuddly Joe". I LOVE his approach.

I'm actually doing his courses at the moment. I've wanted to support him (financially) for ages because of what he does for "creativity" in the area we're all interested in. Then on his 40th birthday he did a 40% off deal that, on top of his "all four courses bundled" deal, brought it down to an amount I had in mind. I still hesitated but decided to push the button when I realised I can motivate myself to actually do the courses. I've nearly finished the songwriting course. It's the one I was least interested in, but it's BRILLIANT. It's helping me refocus on stuff I'd forgotten I knew and had taken for granted 30 odd years ago. Loving it. (Note to everyone: it won't change my songs at all... that isn't what I was after... it's all internal: it will make the process easier and more enjoyable for me because I've relearnt how to use techniques I'd forgotten or ignored, and I'll be back in practice and "match fit" - actually, this sounds like another topic that could do with starting, but we're about to go out... if I see a topic called something like "Does anyone think learning about songwriting is a good idea?" later I'll join in!  ;D ).

I have some other folks whose content I quite like, but they all tend to get on my nerves or preach stuff I know is probably not the truth... Joe is the only one who seems (TO ME) utterly humble and sincere. I know it's a personal and personality thing, but I'm hearing more and more folk seem to feel like I do. He must be doing something good.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1