Chicago - Sufjan Stevens Cover (21st Century Songs Fest)

Started by BerryPatch, October 27, 2023, 08:14:07 PM

BerryPatch

ChicagoSufjanStevensCover
Time:
0:00
Volume:
21stCentury (banner image missing)

This is a great song by the great Sufjan Stevens off of his 2005 album, Illinois. In my opinion, he's definitely an artist that's at a genius level. I had heard recently that he has been having health issues (plus a new album release) which made me think of doing a cover. This is a more stripped back take (I recorded the main vocals and acoustic guitar as one track) but added some overdubs to liven it up more. It's interesting how this song is only one 4 chord progession, the original version is so filled with arrangments that you don't notice :D. Enjoy...

Godin Acoustic
Denver Fretless Uke Bass
Korg Electric Keyboard
Garageband Glockenspiel
Mellotron App
Ol' Trombone
Shure MV 51
Mixed on Garageband
Mastered on Bandlab

cuthbert

What a fantastic cover, Keith. Your vocals here are so clear, as well as the rest of the instrumentation. Amazing production on this - so professional.

Super impressed!

I definitely need to check out more of Sufjan Stevens. You may want to check out The Weary Band sometime (I found them on SoundCloud many moons ago, but certainly much later than 2005) - seems they may be big fans of Sufjan as well.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

ODH

Such a natural, delicate performance.
A gorgeous way to start a Saturday morning.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Oldrottenhead

Fabulous. When I was in Finland at Redler's we had the Sufjan stevens album Carrie and Lowell playing regularly on my phone. Like you I think the guy is a genius. Great cover of a great song. One for the purpose.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Jean Pierre

c'est magnifique merci pour la découverte de ce chanteur
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Farrell Jackson

Beautiful and a very soothing listen. Great natural, non-pushed vocals Keith. The appearance of the OL' trombone was a nice surprise. Well done.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

Keith, I would not have gotten this is you without reading the post.... it sounds quite a bit different vocally to me...I like this very much.
I would guess that had to do with a different way to record the vocals than usual?  Fine fine work and the music sounds amazing too.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

BerryPatch

Quote from: cuthbert on October 27, 2023, 08:31:38 PMI definitely need to check out more of Sufjan Stevens. You may want to check out The Weary Band sometime (I found them on SoundCloud many moons ago, but certainly much later than 2005)

Cool band! From what I heard of them just now, they have a very nice, old school sound with some definite Sufjan-style songwriting. Thanks Cuthbert, I hope all is well for you and your family down in Maine....

BerryPatch

Quote from: StephenM on October 28, 2023, 10:09:04 AMI would guess that had to do with a different way to record the vocals than usual?
Yes, I had used a condenser mic on this one instead of my usual SM 58 so that's why it probably sounds I little different ;). I'm like how the sound turned out though it's definitely a little bit more hassle to record with (it picks up every little sound if you aren't careful!)