U2 and Me

Started by Ferryman, January 07, 2011, 04:29:07 PM

Geir

indeed

on my first live gig I played with a bass-player that has played with a guy who has played with a guy who has play with a guy from Deep Purple ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

FuzzFace

What a coincidence!
I used to listen to Deep Purple!

OsCKilO

That Was exactly 6!!  Wow!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Pete C

I was the guitarist in a semi-pro 6 piece soul band about 10 years ago.  We used to play working mens clubs in NW England, plus private functions.  The guy who played sax with us, Geoff Peach, was older than the rest of us - in the 60s and 70s he played with Van Der Graaf Generator, Sandie Shaw, Every Which Way (with Brian Davison of The Nice and Alan Cartwright who later joined Procul Harum) and The Foundations. I can't remember the rest.  He even told me a funny story about what happened whn Jeff Beck and his girlfriend stayed over at his flat when he lived in London. He even knows Status Quo!?

I used to give him a lift to gigs and we always had drink together between sets when he'd tell me tales about who he'd played with in the past which to me who'd only ever played in amateur bands were awesome.

Here's Geoff in 1970 doing a session on sax with Pacific Gas and Electric.

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiZg82R89Qc
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

pictoratus

The only story I have that comes even close to that is from when I was playing bass in a band doing local gigs back about 20 something years ago.

Through a mutual friend we got a chance to meet Bugs Henderson, a blues player from my hometown, and were asked to open for him in a small tour he was putting together. Unfortunately, the tour never happened, I eventually quit playing altogether and, oddly enough, wound up doing IT work.  :D

Ferryman

Great stories guys, and funny how we ended up in IT work.......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

Back in the early 90's my band @#*&! (Cartoon Swear) had the best and biggest practice space in a downtown multi-room rehearsal rental building. We had 2 nights a week, one being Friday night. We were set and very happy with it...until after just 3 weeks it was taken away by these "girls" (actually their management) who had to rehearse for their upcoming tour. We never even got to meet them or take them out for drinks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQfutFNM4g

PS: They stole that rhythm track from Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel"!

Oldrottenhead

that is so unfair,  we should be watching videos of you from then, instead of those stupid wee lassies.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Quote from: Gritter on January 16, 2011, 02:52:47 PMBack in the early 90's my band @#*&! (Cartoon Swear) had the best and biggest practice space in a downtown multi-room rehearsal rental building. We had 2 nights a week, one being Friday night. We were set and very happy with it...until after just 3 weeks it was taken away by these "girls" (actually their management) who had to rehearse for their upcoming tour. We never even got to meet them or take them out for drinks!
PS: They stole that rhythm track from Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel"!

Eek! I had to turn that off after about 30 seconds. Canada's answer to Bannanarama, right? Although with less talent.

Ah, the realities of the commmercial side of the music biz. I agree with Jim, we should indeed be watching vids of you lot.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

It seems as though the criteria here is not simply a few degrees of separation, or an acquaintance with an artist or band that made it big. What counts is that either (a) you were present at the creation of something big and missed an opportunity, or (b) you created something from similar ingredients at the same time as an artist or band that made it big.

Well, I've searched my memory and can't find anything other than brushes with greatness and degrees of separation. No incidents where I declined an opportunity for greatness. No time when my potential for musical greatness was touted by someone of consequence.

So hat's off to you, the Also Rans and Pete Best's of Songcrafters!

I ended up in IT too.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac