When the Sun Bursts Through the Clouds

Started by chip withrow, December 27, 2010, 08:16:44 AM

chip withrow

clouds
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I wrote this back in August, during rainy season here in Florida. At that time of year, we can usually count on sun, punctuated by a torrential storm or two most days. But that week was gray, gray, gray with steady rain. (By the time I recorded the song, however, the sun was peeking through).
The last couple days have been cold (mid-50s during the day and 30s at night, which is chilly by our standards) and cloudy, prompting me to revisit this one. I've been practicing playing banjo and singing at the same time, and this is a good one for that.
This is one I might be working on for a while. I can already pick out a few lyrical changes I want to make, and I also have some non-bluegrass/untraditional musical ideas for this.

When the Sun Bursts Through the Clouds

Pulled back the curtains and I crawled right back to bed
Another day of raindrops fallin on my head
Trudged off to work under a sky gray as slate
felt it pressin down on me like the hand of fate

When the sun bursts through the clouds
we'll all stop what we're doing, gonna sing out loud
Right now I'd settle for a single yellow ray
when the sun bursts through the clouds it'll be a holiday

Only been about a week but it feels like a year
since we've seen even a patch of blue show its face round here
I shake my fist at God, I blame the weatherman
But that rain just keeps a-comin,' I can't understand

No more hidin 'neath raincoats that feel more like shrouds
We'll open up our windows, turn our faces to the skies
when the sun bursts through the clouds, we won't believe our eyes

I crawl in bed as the rain beats on my roof
the moon is just a rumor, I could use a little proof
Wake me when the sun returns, might take another week
You won't see me until then, unless my roof begins to leak

gonna reimbrace those good things we all disavowed
Gonna let worries and grudges be washed clean in the sunlight
when the sun bursts through the clouds everything'll be all right

AndyR

OH NO!! When my wife wonders why I suddenly seem to have developed a need for a banjo, I'll say "well, there's this guy called Chip on songcrafters..."   ... this sounds fantastic, I want one! :D

Love the song. This version sounds great as it is, but I'm looking forward to hearing how you develop it.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Fantastic song Chip.  I love the sound of your banjo.  I really like this song.  It is very simple so far, so I am also interested in what more you do here.  I have a hard time leaving songs this simple, I may start out with something like this, then I always have to add more, more, more stuff.  Maybe its not what is needed, but I can't help it.  Like for instance I am hearing all sorts of ideas that I would do here, mandolin is one thing that comes to mind, I just love banjo and mandolin together.  No drums sounds good here, most bluegrassy type songs don't have drums, of if they do it is real simple snare stuff.  I hear bass behind this, I would be tempted to add bass if it were me...but then again, like I said, I can't help myself.  You know what may sound good here, simple piano chords...anyway, it stands up like this too, simple banjo song.  Another thing that sounds good is banjo and acoustic guitar (strumming chords).  And vocal harmony....there I go again...I get carried away.  You could do a lot of different things to spice this up, or just leave it... strong songs stand on their own.  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

:D I was thinking exactly the same stuff as BB - this one just cries out for, well, anything and any instrument played in the right style... you can take it anywhere... but the biggie here is that the song already stands on its own.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

Love it, Chip!

What I think it needs is a scratch effect, so it sounds like an old 78 RMP record.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

stoman

I love folk songs. Did I say that before? :D

I'd say just a little bit of percussion, and maybe some strummed guitars for the stereo image, and you're done.

Regards,
  Steffen

Gritter

This is great! I love yer style mang. This easily stands on its own...

...but if you had to add somthin', my choice it be whiskey jug and a good ol' hound dog howlin' in the background.

Bluesberry

whisky jug...now there's an idea...they make electric ones too...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

mr2kewl

my GAS attacks are for the simplicity that your grassroots style brings.

i now have a hankering for a cigar box.

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Wiley

Chip!  Are you playing a 5 string or a tenor banjo?  I have a tenor and still struggle with 4 strings.  But it is great for acompaning things!!   This is great!!  You could really build on it and have a good old fashioned hoe down!!    ;)
PJ