BR-800 - How to Create A Rhythm Arrangement

Started by 64Guitars, August 03, 2010, 07:37:55 PM

64Guitars

I found this on the Roland U.S. Knowledge Base and thought it might be useful to those of you who are lucky enough to own a BR-800.

How to Create a Rhythm Arrangement
Knowledge Base ID: 105195
Product: BR-800

There are 327 Preset rhythm patterns (including metronomes) that can be used for putting together rhythm arrangements for your songs. To put together an arrangement using these patterns, use the following procedure;

• Press RHYTHM.

• CURSOR to "P" (Preset) located to the right of ARRNG on the LCD display.

• Use the VALUE wheel to change the "P" to an "S".
    This will take you to an EMPTY editable arrangement.

• CURSOR to EDIT and then press ENTER.

• CURSOR to STEP and then press ENTER.

• CURSOR to the Pattern field and use the VALUE wheel to select "P".

• CURSOR to the right to highlight the pattern number and then use the VALUE wheel to select any of the internal Preset patterns.

• Press FF to advance to the next step.

• CURSOR to the right of the colon to select the measure number that you want the next pattern to start playing from.

Note: When you play back your arrangement, the pattern from the previous step will continue to play until it reaches the starting measure that you define for each step. If you want the same pattern to play without stopping, do not create any additional steps.

• Repeat steps 7-9 of this procedure until you have finished building your arrangement.

• Press EXIT 3 times to store your changes and return to the main screen.

• Make sure that the RHYTHM and MASTER faders are turned up and then press PLAY in order to hear the arrangement.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

#gpmproject

thank you - i received mine, 800 last Thursday:-) really great device...

boneonbone

Is there a tutorial out there or is anyone familiar enough with the Rhythm Editor software to explain how to use it?   If you've already recorded a song, and then want to add a rhythm arrangement to it, how do you sync it up to the recording?  The editor doesn't allow you to listen to original song and the rhythm arrangement you are creating at the sametime.    Any help would be appreciated.
"Play because you love it. Don't worry about if it will ever make any money, just understand that playing is an end in itself, and you play music, it will make your life better. And, don't worry about being a star, don't worry about making money, worry about nothing, just sit down with your guitar and let it speak to you and that will make your life better. It will bring beauty into your life. It's a great thing to do."     ---- David Crosby

64Guitars

Quote from: boneonbone on September 20, 2010, 06:50:07 PMIs there a tutorial out there or is anyone familiar enough with the Rhythm Editor software to explain how to use it?

These are not specifically for the BR Rhythm Editor and/or BR-800, but they all work the same so these tutorials should help you:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Rhythm_Guide_Intro.html

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Arrangement_Example.html

Also, Tony Houston covers it in his videos:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=8145.0

QuoteIf you've already recorded a song, and then want to add a rhythm arrangement to it, how do you sync it up to the recording?  The editor doesn't allow you to listen to original song and the rhythm arrangement you are creating at the sametime.

You should always record your songs to at least the built-in metronome so that you have a consistent tempo and a fixed time reference. Then you can create your drum arrangement in terms of measures, knowing that the measures in the drum editor will sync perfectly with the measures in your recording since they're both at the same tempo.

However, instead of using the metronome, most of us just create a very simple arrangement before we start recording. That gives us something more interesting to play to than a metronome and allows for tempo changes, if needed. Then, when you're finished recording your tracks, you can improve on the drum arrangement using the BR Rhythm Editor.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 03, 2010, 07:37:55 PMI found this on the Roland U.S. Knowledge Base and thought it might be useful to those of you who are lucky enough to own a BR-800.

Thanks! Very helpful. I am indeed lucky enough to own one but at present am unlucky enough to have no spare time to actually play with it! Hope to get on to it next week.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

boneonbone

Thank you much for all the references.  I will check them out and hopefully find answers to most of my questions.   (I did record to a metronome rhythm so maybe it's a matter of plotting the measures of all the changes, fills, etc and trying to line things up properly)    Thanks again.
"Play because you love it. Don't worry about if it will ever make any money, just understand that playing is an end in itself, and you play music, it will make your life better. And, don't worry about being a star, don't worry about making money, worry about nothing, just sit down with your guitar and let it speak to you and that will make your life better. It will bring beauty into your life. It's a great thing to do."     ---- David Crosby

#gpmproject

Yes, device is fine, but I've got a problem with V-tracks:-))) I don't know how to record more tracks:-)))

64Guitars

Quote from: lubo perunko on September 21, 2010, 11:13:52 AMI've got a problem with V-tracks:-))) I don't know how to record more tracks:-)))

It's the same as any BR. You mix your eight finished tracks down to two, then record up to six more while monitoring the 2-track mix of the first eight tracks. Repeat as many times as needed.

With the BR-800, you create your 2-track mix in Mastering Mode (it really should have been called Mixdown Mode). Mastering Mode is the same as Bounce Mode on other BRs, except that the mastering effects are turned on. For bouncing, simply turn off the mastering effects by pressing the MASTER FX button located under the Master fader.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website