Bassguitar

Started by Geir, January 20, 2010, 07:18:57 AM

phantasm777

its good bruno but too twangy, too trebley and comes off like a guitar more than a bass. but then i like deep tones and a booming bass where your ribcase vibrates, so you can really feel it. back when i was a bassist i had a ampeg svt and used 2 sun 18 in cabinets. i made anywhere i played rattle! :P

chip

Yep Speedy, like you I had an 18 inch speaker in a Selmer cab with a Selmer head  and it would pump out the low end and knock the audience over, wish I still had it. Our bass player bought round his line 6 thingy, not impressed, told him to go back and get the Ampeg, the line 6 head was way to complicated and sounded to thin, midrange and slightly unreal, just like anything to do with Line 6. I like the low thump and no solo type stuff. Our drummer will not tolerate any midrange coming out the bass,, one of the reasons the Ricky was dismissed. I always say  Fenders are the only bass for me.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: bruno on February 19, 2012, 04:32:20 PMActually watching this made me want to play bass - I watched this on DVD and clapped afterwards, I felt like an idiot, however it deserved a clap! See if you can watch this without clapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEyEu-hS0fA

Victor Wooten is an amazing bass player and he does it all with just four strings....bravo!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Farrell Jackson

The tendency for us guitarist that play our own bass parts is to over play. I've been playing bass as long as I've been playing guitar. That is a lot of years but it doesn't mean I'm a pro at either. The first band I played in at 16,  I was the bass player so I'm sort of a bass player that switched to guitar but several years ago. Jack Bruce was my idol then so I've always over played...it gives the guitarists and vocalists fits in a live situation. When I started to seriously record myself I could hear and feel that I was over playing......but that's not always a bad thing. Just listen to what the song calls for....if it needs a fiery bass part then light it up. If not, stay with the basic notes. These days I control my bass playing much more than I used to but once in a while I can't help myself  ;D 

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

phantasm777

i think for some there is a fine line between overplaying and just using your bass as a bass and rhythm guitar of sorts. especially with 3 or 4 piece bands. ive never had problemns with singers nor guitarists (ask chris) about over playing. and i did lots of scales and counter-melodies. it filled in where there was no rhythm guitar or keys and allowed a good background for the guitarist to solo. so i guess it depends on what kind of band you're in, what the band members are like, and the overall sound of the band.

DannyB_KY

Beautiful guitar!!!  8) 8) 8)

Try to learn a few licks from Nantucket Sleigh Ride on the album "Mountain Live: The Road Goes Ever On."

Would you do me and may be some other folks a favor? Try the acoustic guitar patch and see if the BR80 can handle it and sound like an upright bass....or at least an acoustic bass guitar....
Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.