New Years Resolution...

Started by The Reverend 48, December 27, 2009, 03:49:06 AM

IanR

Mine is to practice more.  I am often stalled in recording my songs because my playing technique can't match the sound I'd like to record.  There's only two ways to fix this - 1. get in someone who can play better than me, or 2. practice!

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Roytoy

I guess now that I've had time to think about it, I would like to just focus more on developing my own style and creating my own stuff than always leaning on cover stuff that I have practiced so hard on over the years. I played bass professionally for a couple of decades and when I quit gigging I bought a Strat so I could entertain myself without a band. I started learning instrumentals and now I would like to write some. That is the short story of what lead me to my new BR-1200 and to this great website. I'm looking forward to a productive year.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Bluesberry

For me, I want to learn how to play bass.  I bought myself a nice bass for christmas and I am focused on playing it as much as I can and learning so I can add nice basslines to my songs, that is my goal for this year.  And I am finding out that playing bass is a whole lot of fun, I am really loving it.  Any advice rdgotmy5 (that is quite a handle, I'll have to shorten it down to rdg or something for future posts...note to self) or any other bass player on here is always welcome.  Is there any secret to it other than practice and play as much as possible.  I feel I am making good progress so far since getting it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mach

The one thing IMO that makes a difference when playing Bass is to try and use you fingers instead of a pick. Picks can produce some interesting sounds if you going for a certain vibe, but I seem to have more control over the strings when using my fingers. I usually try and mute the strings (for different approaches & sounds) with the tips of my fingers and palm mutes for slap/pop techniques.

Try and alternate between your index & middle fingers and get a good rhythm going and play along with a click (metronome) or drum beat. Just keep consistant with the downbeat. I also like using a lot of overtones to make a bass line a little more interesting and add some flavor unless the song calls for a straight bass line just for some bottom end.

Hope some of this helps.

Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Roytoy

That's all pretty good advice, I guess the only thing I'd add is to just sit back and listen to some music with some good bass lines and really drink it in. I started in the 70's with some Eagles albums. They have alot of open strings and 5ths in their lines. Real easy to play and melodic and solid. I've become a fairly competant guitarist, but after my tracks are all down and I listen back, I hear my bass lines and I can really tell that that is my passion. It speaks to me. Y'all can just call me Roy. rdgotmy5 refers to Bass tournaments that I sometimes fish. You get 5 fish and weigh them in. "Already got my five".
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Blooby

Quote from: rdgotmy5 on December 29, 2009, 02:30:36 PMrdgotmy5 refers to Bass tournaments that I sometimes fish. You get 5 fish and weigh them in. "Already got my five".

A kayak bass fisherman lurking over here.

As for musical resolutions...spend less, play more.  Play more soulfully.  Maybe work on some proper tunes.  Maybe even sing a bit.

Blooby

s.w.goatlips

I guess mine is to actually finish a song or two and get them recorded competently. I'm still struggling a bit with the whole recording process which is frustrating the crap out of me because I've got a million ideas in my head (well at least 3 or 4). I checked out the "how to post music" stuff, and being a bit of a technophobe, I find it all a bit daunting, not to mention the fact that most of the music on here is so good that I may be out of my league. But anyway, hope the new year is good for one and all.
Frustration is my middle name.

Tony W

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on December 29, 2009, 02:55:27 PMI guess mine is to actually finish a song or two and get them recorded competently. I'm still struggling a bit with the whole recording process which is frustrating the crap out of me because I've got a million ideas in my head (well at least 3 or 4). I checked out the "how to post music" stuff, and being a bit of a technophobe, I find it all a bit daunting, not to mention the fact that most of the music on here is so good that I may be out of my league. But anyway, hope the new year is good for one and all.

There are some fantastic musicians on this site, I'm not one of them. Everyone was out of my league when I started, and I have only recently felt like my music wasn't crappy.

This will give you a taste of the other side of the forum

My first recording
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=2328.msg19198#msg19198

I spent a couple weeks practicing that, trying to get it to where I could post it and not be laughed off the forum. Turns out, nobody laughed (to my face) I got nothing but encouragement, knowledge, and the best of all LESSONS right here! (The gentleman who started this thread is our local blues instructor)

The biggest compliment I've received recently, one of my hero's asked who was playing lead! I used to stand out on lead, it was very easy to tell who was on lead.

I joined this site in April of 2009

This is what I'm doing now (playing over a backing track)
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=5503.0

If you are willing to become the musician of your dreams, the people here will help you in ways you never imagined.

Good luck on your venture my new friend!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

tony

New Year's Resolution:  Sell all my instruments, give my records and CDs away, wipe Garageband from the computer, turn my speakers into plant pots and drop my iPod from a tall building (and don't forget to make an installation from the boxes of cassettes in the cupboard).

I haven't managed to keep a New Year's resolution in 54 years so I figure this is the best way to practice more and write a few songs in 2010.

edit:
Ha! I posted this before I realised that I hadn't disposed of the MBR.  Revealing?

Wiley

I have been thinking about this since it was posted!! New Years resolution?? Well I ordered my Br right at Christmas time last year was back ordered so didn't get until middle of January!!.  I have never regretted getting it.  This place inspired me so much last year I don't know what to think about the upcoming year.  I always  played country and old rockn' roll.  I have learned to jump out of my box so many times this last year. That this upcoming year will be hard to beat 2009.  I have done rap, rock, learned to play guitar, Yngwie, Gary Moore, and even did a few of my own!!   How can I possible beat that????  I need to learn jazz like Mr 2Kewl LOL  we kind of have a standing joke.  Love you guy!!  I honestly don't know what to say!!  I have met so many great musicians!!  I am greatly outnumbered being practicaly the only female here.  You guys have NOT scared me away.  I think the world of all of you!!  So I guess I thank you all for helping me to get, where I am today.  I  especially thank Mike (48) for everything he has given of himself.  And other very special friends.!!  As to my New Years Resolution????  Lets just make more music and hopefully I can learn as much this year as I did the last!!  And if I do............ Maybe I can kick some ass!!!
Love You all!!
PJ

New Years night, there will probably be a party in the chat if anyone wants to come!!